1 grand or less car plus a bike for 6 grand with insurance

Soldato
I may have the best of both worlds, my dad fancies buying the RS turbo I was going to buy off a family friend, meaning I can sell the corsa and spend all my money on a bike and still use the RST whenever I want.

I want as nice a shed as possible for less than a grand, not too expensive to run. and not too frustratingly slow, but low insurance etc...

Now it looks as if I have 3-4 grand to spend on a bike so its looking like R6/GSXR600/ZX636 territory.
I have wahtever I get for the corsa (5.5 to 6 grand probably) to buy and insure them both.

Im 20 and have 3 years NCB I can use on one of the policies, so any cheap ways to insure the two would be appreciated. TPO will be fine on the shed, fully comp on the bike.

Soldato
OP
I was expecting the obligitory mondao suggestion. and I am thinking about it.
Be using it for driving will be to work when the wether aint great, taking the mrs shopping, going cinema and taking my push bike to the forest etc... just general driving about really. I only work 8 miles away from home so dont really need a cruizer, and I dont know if there is enough room on the drive for a mondao. Just want the cheapest insurance possible (without going too slow), then hopefully I can put the no claims on the bike. but want it to be reliable, not really bothered about equipment but its nice to have, probably only do 5 or 6k a year in it, be using the bike for work whenever I can.

Must be able to fit a bike in the back, but the corsa manages that so thats not really an issue.

Soldato
OP
got to be as cheap as possible on insurance though! I'll have a look at the 306 diesel. dont really want to use my no claims on the car, as there is more money to be saved using them on the bike as I want a supersport 600 (not sure which yet)

Soldato
OP
306 DT comes in at £600 TPO with admiral, dont suppose I can hope to pay much less than that without using my NCD. the bike will be abot £600 Fully comp aswell with the NCD so £1200 for the two aint that bad. Any other car ideas? doesn;t have to be a diesel or a petrol, just reliable and cheap to insure.

Soldato
you should be able to get a nice 600 for that cash mate. I personally not a fan of the GXR600's , everyone I have ridden has just been guttless, all top end and really bad seating position for tall buggers.

Honda CRB600RR are nice, if a bit bland to ride.

R6 is a cracking bike, stacks of midrange and a wicked top end too.

ZXR636 the old style are greet if your a tall bugger, but they havent aged that well in the looks department. new one looks very nice, great bike also.

Basically mate all current 600s are much of a muchness, they all do 0-60 in the same time and will all go round a track within a sec of each other. i suggest narrowing it down to the one you like the look of, then go to a show room and sit on the rest and see which one you get on best with.

I went into to buy a new 600 and came out with an R1 :D DOH!

Soldato
OP
Im am thinking R6 at the moment, but we will see. see what I get for my car, and how much I can insure my shed for!
Does anyone know of an insurance company that if you are fully comp on the car/bike, give you 3rd party cover on annother vehicle (bike/car) when you are 20. loads do it at 25, but few at 20. Then I could get my dad to add the bike to his policy for theft. sorted! Anyone know?

Soldato
not off hand mate, iv always used bennits for my bike insurance, always been abou tthe cheapest but they are very good when there called upon.

if you do decide on an R6 let me know, I have a mint 2002 one in red sat in the garage, 8,000 dry miles. will be up for sale soon. got it the missus when she passed her test.

She has used it bloody twice in 8 months so its being sold

Soldato
OP
Might look at bennets, buying the bike will be fun, its just what car to get.no idea what to get, it dependson the insurance really, if I can find somewherethat will give the 3rd party entitlement on other vehicles I'm laughing!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just had a quote on a 2002 R6 for £319 without using my NCD. TPFT admittedly, but that is very cheap, now I can use the NCD on a carI can have something a bit quicker. so come on guys, reliable less than £1000 do your worst.

Before you ask mondao 2.0 16v ghia x is an option (If I can fit it on my drive) how long do the cambelts last on them?

any other cars to consider?

Man of Honour
Oakesy2001uk said:
before you ask mondao 2.0 16v ghia x is an option (If I can fit it on my drive) how long do the cambelts last on them?

Longer than anything else you'll find this side of a chain cam engine.

Pre 98: 80,000 miles or 5 years
Post 98: 100,000 miles or 10 years.

Very few reports of premature cambelt snaps as well, so those guidelines don't need to be cut down as with some other marques - Vauxhall, for example, are so inept at engineering a cambelt it needs changing every 42k..

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Longer than anything else you'll find this side of a chain cam engine.

Pre 98: 80,000 miles or 5 years
Post 98: 100,000 miles or 10 years.

Very few reports of premature cambelt snaps as well, so those guidelines don't need to be cut down as with some other marques

I knew it was a crazy amount of time before they need done, at work I dont think ive ever sold any valves for a mondeo.

Soldato
OP
cool, looks like an R6 and a ghia x if I can find one at the right money!
anything to look out for? It will be a muel so probably wont be sold, ever, so what milage do these generaly start to have terminal issues?

Back
Top Bottom