I have some RAM problems i think

Associate
My specs
P4 1.7ghz
1GB SDRAM
80GB Western Digital HDD
GeeForce 5700FX 128mb
unknown motherboard and PSU

So I bought 512 of RAM so I could have 1GB in totall and did format. After the format my comp is running not very well, like slower. Whenever I run Counter Strike 1.6 which doesn't need much it lags a lot, I get a lot of ghosting and lag. So I looked on the forums here and from sticky I downloaded the program MemTest. I run it and I can't even test my whole RAM because a Message pops out:
Your version of Windows limits the ammount of contiguous Ram a single program can allocate. You will have to run two copies of MemTest, and tell each to test 200mb of Ram.

Do any of u know what that means ? From what i figured out is that each program has a limit to using 200mb of Ram. Isn't that weird ? Maybe that's why I don't Bother to play Battlefield 2 on my machine cuz whenever i put it on it lags like crazy and i just turn it off and don't bother trying again for a long time.

Any help on this ?

Associate
with that cpu and graphics card i wouldnt bother running battlefield 2...
is your memory the right type, speed and brand for your motherboard?
they in the right slots(some motherboards only let you run 2 sticks in certain slots etc...)could be a wealth of issues

Soldato
post a dxdiag log and we may be able to help from that but yeah its looking very underpowered for new games so you may be porked anyway - cs 1.6 you may be ok, its been so long...

Caporegime
sumik said:
Your version of Windows limits the ammount of contiguous Ram a single program can allocate. You will have to run two copies of MemTest, and tell each to test 200mb of Ram.

Do any of u know what that means ? From what i figured out is that each program has a limit to using 200mb of Ram.

That message is because the trial version of the software is limited to that much memory, its not a problem with your system. You're much better using the real memtest, that is memtest86+ from here:

http://www.memtest.org/

You have to burn the image to a CD and boot from it. Loop test 5 for half an hour to see if your RAM is erroring.

Have you made sure you've installed your motherboard drivers too? The latest ones from the makers website?

Associate
OP
All drivers are updated
i have 2 slots for DDR ram and 2 slots for SDRAM so i din't go wrong there, both stick are identical and i checked the support for motherboard and it's right ram. Lemme mees around with it for a bit, see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom