Computer Problem - Help please

Associate
I have just attempted to change the fan/heatsink on my CPU. The processor came off when i took off the heatsink. I put the processor back and put the heatsink on. However my computer has now stopped working. I can turn it on and it seems to load up a bit but i get no signal to my monitor.

Would this be caused by damage to the processor? I may have pulled out some wires at the bottom of the board but im not sure. These are the little ones and acre mic in mic out and one labelled ground, could this be the problem?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help

Soldato
I have done the same myself removing a heatsink, as said check for any pin damage, and make sure you plugged in the CPU fan.

Soldato
i changed the heatsink out on my cpu a couple of weeks ago and got **** scared when the computer made a continous beep, that wasn't in the manual or anything. After about 30 mins of going "oh ****, oh ****" i had another look in the pc and the power cable to the graphics card wasn't plugged in because i forgot to reattach it....look for something simple is my advice

Associate
OP
the pins on the cpu look fine. I dont think it could be anything else. The graphics card is in and the cpu fan turns on. The computer makes a beep when i turn it on but does not do anything after that. So all the fans are running and everything but the screen wont turn on and there is no booting up

Soldato
yeap cpu goes in 1 way only...

their is a small gold arrow on the cpu which is lines up with the little arrow on the white bracket part where your cpu sits....

the cpu should slide in ever so gently....

you mentioned the cpu came off when replacing your hsf.....so when you put your cpu back in did u lift up the lever, put the cpu back then lower the lever again?

what are your specs? do you have onboard gfx you could plug your monitor in there and try...

alternatively try another gfx card?

no signal usely means gfx card prob or mobo prob but as your getting a beep I would go for the gfx card....

oh you could also try resetting the CMOS...it may work...longshot but you never know...

1. remove mobo battery
2. put jumper settings on 2 - 3 ( depending on your mobo) for 1 min
3. put battery back in
4. put jumper settings back to 1 - 2

However I would definately try another gfx card as well...

Associate
OP
yeah i lifted the lever and placed it back down again so the cpu went into place nicely. I dont have another gfx to try so ill try the onboard way!

Ill also try the battery thing, how do i change the jumper settings?

How do i know if this is a cpu problem? would the computer turn on at all?

Soldato
you would hear more than 1 beep if it was yer cpu... I wouldnt say thats a prob yet...Ive had many cpu's come out when installing a hsf....

right when you change settings follow those steps i told you about...its just taking the jumper ( you know like on the back of hdd's) off the pins and putting them on other pins next to it...simple...if indoubt download your mobo manual...

when you try the onboard gfx card way just take your current gpu out to avoid any potential conflicts...

good luck

Associate
OP
Nope tried taking the graphics card out and using the onboard, it does not make any difference unfortunatly. Tried changing the jumpers too but didnt work. Im totally confuzzled, looks like ill have to take it for repaor grrrrr..

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated :)

Soldato
I may have pulled out some wires at the bottom of the board but im not sure

if its just the mic wires etc that wouldnt stop your pc from displaying...

you could have killed the mobo when replacing the hsf...

what type of hsf do u have? is it a standard one?

if the onboard gfx did not work Im pretty sure its your mobo - its dead...

Associate
OP
i was replacing a noisy alaska hsf with a arctic cooling one that i bought. Well i hope its the mobo because i like my processor. If it is the processor i guess ill have to replace that and the motherboard because its a 754 :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
I just makes one sort of beep noise after i turn it on then the computer dont seem to do anything except for the fans and the cd drive.. If i take the power cable out of the graphics card then it makes one continuous beep.

Associate
Well thats suggests your mobo isn't completely dead.

You need to check the beep codes for the BIOS your board has.

Have a look in your destruction manual for BIOS type, and google for "BIOS Beep codes X" where X is the BIOS type.

Generally 1 beep seems to indicate things are ok during POST with most BIOSes.

I'd double and treble check all your connectors making good refernece to your manual.

M

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you connect the HSF to the cpufan 3 pin on the mobo?...

I know i've plugged it into a sysfan connector by mistake before... :?

I'd consider stripping the PC down to bare minimum and running essential only hardware before considering taking it anywhere for repair or replacing the mobo.

Look up the PC beep codes for your bios.

Back
Top Bottom