Canon Powershot A85 Problem

Soldato
I got this camera some time ago (xmas 2004 iirc) but it recently has come up with an error :/ The problem first appeared when my parents had the camera in Canada and changing memory card.

The screen had the message: 'Memory Card Error'

Had a quick look and it appears one of the pins that the memory cards connect to appears bent. Consequently I can't take any photos at all :(

Is this likely to be something I can fix myself or will it need to be sent away for repair?

Soldato
OP
Nope - no tools I have are long enough to reach. The pin in question is in the corner which makes it very awkward to get at.

I attempted to take the cover off but it wouldn't budge after I removed what I thought were all the screws so I gave up at that point.

Maybe see what the local camera shop says on my next day off however :)

Kinda of annoyed as I just got a further 1GB of mem cards (2x512) for it as well :(

Soldato
OP
Wee bit of a bump :)

Had a go with all the suitable tools I can get my hands on (that I have here of course :p) and no luck so far.

Taken the camera to the little shop in town who don't do any onsite repairs. They do however send them away for repair at a mere £80 fixed charge!! :eek:

Since the camera was only 170 new (iirc, was a prezzie) I thought that was a little OTT.

Recommend me a replacement please :)

Looking into DSLR (to share with my old man) so I'll hold off on that for a little - compacts only please. No set budget as such so fire away :)

Associate
Same as above I was looking to upgrade from my old 2mp Olympus and was looking at the Canon S60 but sadly couldn't stretch to that amount so went for the A95 and it's been great.

To prepare yourself for DLSR I'd recommend something like the S70/S80 or Powershot G6, Olympus SP-500UZ, Nikon COOLPIX P4,

Back
Top Bottom