Need Help with pump for watercooling

Associate
can someone help me to choose a pump for a watercooled pc. (if this question has been asked before will someone point me in the right direction and i apologize.)

I know a know much about pumps.
I have been looking at the AlphaCool Laing D4 Basic Pump 1/2 Inch Tube Fitting but i havent been able to find out and relevent reviews. So could someone tell me if this is a good pump or if it isnt could you recommend one. I want a good pump that will last and i dont want to spend load. Im willing to spend no more than about £60.

thanks in advance kev

Associate
OP
one more thing to ask will the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Waterblock fit any mobo for example the A8N-SLI Deluxe

and also when i was looking on eclipse computers at watercool blocks i came across a motherboard heattrap (heat trap at alphacool) after reading what it was i was foundering do i need one. i want to make my system fully water cooled. so thre will be no fans, so will it casue damage to my mobo if i dont get one.

Last edited:
Associate
RossDagley said:
Yep. OCUK do one. :)
OCuk dont stock the Laing D5 Vario pumps - but you can get them at some competitors slightly > £60.
If your budget is < £60 go for the new D4 Basic.

By reading some comments/reviews it seems that majority view is you dont really need to w/c NB heatsink or mofsets - it only adds additional blocks for water-flow and dumps extra heat.
The Asus board says that if you are w/c CPU you will need to run a fan over the mofsets/heatsink as they need airflow over them as you lose fan from the cpu which would have blown over them.

Have a look at this guide for w/c
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331
:)

Associate
OP
ok say there was no limit on how much you could spend what pump would you get but please be realistic. Is AlphaCool the best for pumps or are they just the most popular

also am i going the right way with starting with a pump first or should i choose Reservoirs and radiators first i basicly want to make sure that all the connections are going to fit i dont want to have to mess around a put a have to conncet different size pipes i want it to be a nice simple progect

Man of Honour
Very few pumps come with connections. You buy the connections to match the size tubing you will use. 1/2" high flow systems seem to be most popular in the states whereas 3/8 low flow are becomming increasingly popular in Europe. If you are looking at adding a chipset cooler then I would go for high flow with a strong pump(D5) due to the added restriction of the chipset cooler. Look for the 'head' of the pump rather than the flow, the higher the better when choosing the right pump.

I'm waiting for some more components to arrive to finish my low flow alphacool based setup. I chose low flow for a few reasons, price, looks and space. I hate the big fat tubes, look bad, need barbs and hard(er) to route. They perform better than smaller tubing but not by much and imo arn't worth the extra hassle, worse looks and price involved.

Associate
It really depends on your budget whether you go for custom kit (more expensive) or for a pre-specced W/C Kit (see Swiftech H20-220 Apex kit)
which comes with everything (not including GFX Card block) for about £160.

Re pumps - the Laing D5 Vario is one of the most powerful pumps available at the moment (cost £60-70) but DangerDen/Swiftech/AquaXtreme 50z are pretty similar for slightly less.

Radiators - depends on what you are cooling/how much space you have to fit it internally/externally in your case.
The Thermochill PA Series seem to offer slightly better performance over Swiftech/Black Ice rads -

What are your system specs/make of case so some of w/c experts on here can give you an idea of the best w/c solution for what you need.

Soldato
:rolleyes:

d4/5 isnt strong, what i advised has a low heat dump and a huge head, both are huge players in watercooling for computers.
A d4/5 will have a huge flow, but as soon as you add pipes, rad and blocks etc. it wont be very much, it has a big heat dump and the max head is much less than the ddc+.
I would know i have a d5

Associate
OP
okimanoob said:
What are your system specs/make of case so some of w/c experts on here can give you an idea of the best w/c solution for what you need.

i have a
A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
BFG 7800gtx oc graphics card (it was already overclocked but i would like to push it further)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (i would like to oc it)

i have been looking at the thermaltake armour cases but im not sure yet.

so basicly this is what ive been looking at for a watercooled system:
laing pump 12v d5 vario
AlphaCool Cape Coolplex 75 external
AlphaCool Motherboard Heattrap RegCooler
Thermaltake CL-W0032 Aquabay M1 2x5.25" Bay Water Indicator
alphacool-nexxxos-pro-ii:
alphacool nexxxosvga waterblock

any suggestions would be greatfull

Soldato
what about the AquaXtreme 50Z??

i've just bought one of these (though still havnt got it yet :() but they seem to be pretty good pumps, people on here recommend them (here). plenty of head, good flow rate, low heat dump and only uses 9 watts of power unlike the D5 that uses 23 accordin to alphacools webby

Back
Top Bottom