What CPU/chipset should be used?

Associate
I'm building a low-end PC for a friend, but I'm unsure what CPU/chipset to base it on. I would like to choose something that is cheap, whilst provides maximum upgrade options for the future.

What CPU/chipset should I use, and which socket type is best for this i.e 775 or 754, for example?

Thanks,

Michael

Soldato
I did this recently and went for the nvidia 6100 chipset, not for the integrated graphics but because it was cheap and has all the options such as pci-e that i needed. However that was a socket 745 board and they aren't going to be upgradable at all.

If you need it now, i think your best with AM2 if upgradability is a must, as it will be some time until conroe enters the mainstream/value sector.

Look for an am2 board with the features you want based around the 6100 or 6150 chipset. If you don't need to play games on it, this is even better as you won't need to get a graphics card.

I highly recommend asrock for reliable cheap motherboards, this board looks good to me.

Having said that, A PD 805 would be pretty good value if you can cope with the cooling requirements, thats socket 775 based but i don't know too much about the chipsets for that.

Soldato
I would suggest AM2 also, as their processor prices have come down recently & their are some good inexpensive motherboards arround. Also as that form factor has recently been released its likely to be arround longer than the Intel 775, which is getting long in the tooth by now (& i personally expect Intel chips to be moved to another platform soon).

Associate
775 is only around 3 years old. it won't be changed until ddr3 becomes available and even then should be available for another 18 months.

If he just wants a system to use for now and leave it alone get a cheap-ish 754 based system. However if he wants an upgrade path go for an as-rock twin 775 board (cheap and supports conroe) and pair it with a celeron or pentium 4 for the time being, or wait for the conroe release as there doesn't seem to be any cheap am2 boards yet.

Back
Top Bottom