2.1 speakers to buy

Soldato
I'm looking to replace my sony 2.0 speakers with some new 2.1 ones so thought i'd ask for some advice :)
Now I know that everyone here highly recommends the Aego M's, but was just wondering about some other choices too.
If anyone has heard or has the following ones, could I have your opinions please?
Bose companion 3
Logitech Z 2300
Altec Lansing VS4221

Also, any other recommendations are welcome :)
Thanks

Soldato
OP
Don't have a particular budget as such, so go wild!
Isn't the bose companion 3 the most expensive as far as 2.1 go though? I wasn't aware something more expensive was there.

Soldato
i wouldnt buy the boses, the aego m's are widely known for their greatness EDIT, Just saw the price of the boses, dont buy.

Soldato
My current PC sound setup is - Sonic Impact t-amp (£30 + £20 for a power adaptor) connected to Eltax Monitor 3 hi-fi bookshelf speakers (£60). Superb for music and games alike.

Soldato
OP
I don't really want an amp and hifi setup though, looking specifically for a 2.1 speaker system and want the best. Despite the Aego M's glowing reviews across the board here, I don't like the look of it that much and the fact that it doesn't have a headphone jack puts me off a bit. That's one of the annoyances I have with my current sony 2.0 setup.

Are there any other 2.1 systems that are almost as good as the Aego's in terms of sound quality? I don't want something overly loud, and by the looks of it, taht rules out the Logitech Z 2300. Any other options available? without comprimising too much on the quality.

Soldato
Sudden said:
I don't really want an amp and hifi setup though, looking specifically for a 2.1 speaker system and want the best. Despite the Aego M's glowing reviews across the board here, I don't like the look of it that much and the fact that it doesn't have a headphone jack puts me off a bit. That's one of the annoyances I have with my current sony 2.0 setup.

Are there any other 2.1 systems that are almost as good as the Aego's in terms of sound quality? I don't want something overly loud, and by the looks of it, taht rules out the Logitech Z 2300. Any other options available? without comprimising too much on the quality.
i does have a headphoine jack doesnt it?, or do u mean a headphone output?

Soldato
OP
Eliot said:
i does have a headphoine jack doesnt it?, or do u mean a headphone output?

Sorry, I think i'm a bit confused with the terms, must mean output :p
A place on the speaker itself to plug in the headphones basically, instead of plugging them out of the CPU and plugging in the headphones there.

Now that I think about it, output makes a lot more sense :p

Soldato
An amp doesn't have to be enormous and use tons of power btw, the t-amp is just 6*4*2 inch, weighs next to nothing and it's only 12V 2A, so power usage is very low (10W average maybe). Hi-fi speakers don't have to be huge either.

Anyway, if it's not what you're after that's fair enough.

Soldato
I wouldn't rule out the Logitech's for being "overly loud", you can always put the volume lower, you just have the power there if you want it. A freind has them and from what I heard they would be a good choice.

Soldato
fish99 said:
My current PC sound setup is - Sonic Impact t-amp (£30 + £20 for a power adaptor) connected to Eltax Monitor 3 hi-fi bookshelf speakers (£60). Superb for music and games alike.
i just looked up the t amp and some guy is saying its freakishly good and compares it with amps 30x its price, is it really that good?

Soldato
Eliot said:
i just looked up the t amp and some guy is saying its freakishly good and compares it with amps 30x its price, is it really that good?

Maybe not that good, but T-amps are insanely good for the money, easily be able to beat anything you could get running PC Speaker wise, by a long way.

Soldato
They are very good, but surely not as good as something 30x the price. That would be something like £450 which would get you a Rotel RA01 and leave you with £200 change :)

Soldato
Dunno really, I haven't used many of the sets around that price, just the JBL Control 1's which I didn't rate, and Eltax Monitor 3's which are capable, clean and uncoloured (neutral). I'm not saying get them though, there could well be something better for the money. Have a look at Kef Cresta 10s too.

£50-60 will get you some nice used speakers off ebay, maybe some Missions, they always seem to go for bargain prices.

If they're going next to a CRT you need them to be shielded. Not an issue with a TFT.

Back
Top Bottom