• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe releases at B-2 Stepping

Soldato
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=627088&starttime=0&endtime=0

Intel hints that Conroe is going to release at B-2 Stepping as Intel Core 2 Duo processor. As for the previous version, a problem was found to make the system full loaded. It’s only solved in the new stepping. We don’t encourage anyone to buy the engineering sample from the web. The retail version is going to release in the end of this month, and it’s much stable.

Thats gonna **** off a few people who have early versions.

Associate
Sorry, I'm not quite as technically-minded when it comes to hard-ware so this may seem a stupid question, but the conroes on sale at overclockers will be fine wont they?

Associate
But all the people with ES's are interested in is getting some benchmarks that are well ahead of eveyone else. I doubt many will keep them once Conroe is out properly...

One thought though... they may have to sell them cheap :)

Caporegime
conroe_step.PNG

Seems its something like this info from xs

Soldato
u must know that intel have withdrawn all the chipz from Ebay and bared the massive sales of ES's from xtremeS , also it urged the people who granted access to them to STOP selling them. as i said they have a reason for this and i dont think it is hardware failures.

besides if it is a design problem they wouldnt have the time to fix it, its not a made in china toy these chips :D

Soldato
OP
could be one of the two or both reasons.

A) Intel dont seem to like normal people with ES chips, i know my uncle got cheesed off when i got my hands on a gallatin ES (works at intel)

B) They dont want people with faulty chips.

Associate
Iraklis F.C. said:
i dont think these ES chips have any problem at all
I do. They're just exactly what they say they are. Engineering samples, bugs 'n' all!!!

Corasik said:
Just guessing, Perhaps the 'problem' that intel have resolved on the B2 stepping is the reported high cpu load on hardware assisted raid.
I guess you mean the problem with Raid 5 on the 975BX boards, when CPU load goes through the roof?

I thought it was more down to a chipset problem, but you never know, maybe it was the cpu. :eek:

Soldato
If it was a chipset problem, then P4 owners with 975X boards would have already notice this surely. If its a 'compatibility' issue between 975X chipset and Conroe, then it may well be something 'fixable' in a stepping refresh.

Hopefully this is what the C2 will improve on anyway.

Caporegime
lay-z-boy said:
that doesnt show anything, its pure speculation.

Personally i wouldnt want to spend my money on a faulty chip, no matter how large or small the fault is.

hmm.

scare mongering.INTEL dont want people to have chips before release.

mines a B1 and has no issues.

Please....they will change B1 to B2 18 days before release? lmao :D

please don't fall into the intel (web romance) conroe trap lol!

will be interesting if the retail E6600 does 3.4ghz on stock volts.

Last edited:
Soldato
It may be due to company image rather than worrying about people getting dirt cheap Conroes. If lots of people have the engineering samples that opens the door to lots of people potentially having problems due to bugs and other suprises found in an ES chip.

It wouldn't look good for Intel if lots of people are saying Conroe is buggy and isn't worth the silicon it's printed on.

I am sure this is not the only reason but I would be shocked if someone at Intel hasn't thought of this :D

SiriusB

Caporegime
SiriusB said:
It may be due to company image rather than worrying about people getting dirt cheap Conroes. If lots of people have the engineering samples that opens the door to lots of people potentially having problems due to bugs and other suprises found in an ES chip.

It wouldn't look good for Intel if lots of people are saying Conroe is buggy and isn't worth the silicon it's printed on.

I am sure this is not the only reason but I would be shocked if someone at Intel hasn't thought of this :D

SiriusB

After miilions of $ spent in making the chips ... doubt INTEL would be daft enough to release a media testing chip on the pc media reviewers unless it would impress.

and then weeks later reform the chip at the last min due to problems.lmao

Back
Top Bottom