CIV4 whats the fuss!

Soldato
This game seems to get great reviews even though its a turn based game. It looks boring but i am sort of interested to see what the fuss is about i can pick it for £12.99.

Does anyone here have it so whats so good about it. Is it easy to get into wheres the fun bits in the game.

im downloading the demo so ill know myself :)

Soldato
I couldn't get into it, having played all other games in the series before. On top of not being satisfying from a gameplay point of view, by being very simple in its military and city buildings parts, it is also bug ridden and runs huge memory leaks.

Not happy.

Soldato
Ex-RoNiN said:
I couldn't get into it, having played all other games in the series before. On top of not being satisfying from a gameplay point of view, by being very simple in its military and city buildings parts, it is also bug ridden and runs huge memory leaks.

Not happy.

I'd pretty much agree..

Soldato
It is great, however, its main problem is that it grinds to a halt and the later game is just boring imho compared to early and mid game. This due to complications with combat making it sort of unwieldy and clumsy not to mention the inefficency of the engine making the thing run at about 10FPS.

I havn't played it since my last save where I left a city unguarded and a barbarian in adjacent to it at the end of my turn and I don't dare load it again. :(

My RTS hopes are resting for that WW2 one coming out in September and SupCom. :)

Soldato
dafloppyone said:
its pretty much alpha centauri with updated graphics....

SACRILEDGE!!!
Don't even think about comparing it to one of the best games of all time :D
*No full 3D terrain with manipulation!
*Far less possible units. (Alright, a lot of Alpha Centauri's 35,000 were simply different armour & weapon combos, but still ;) )
*Awful gameplay & scaling of units.
*Generally incredibly dissapointing; Civ 2/3 were far better in comparison, but Alpha Centauri (With Alien Crossfire) blows them all away.

-Leezer-

Associate
heh I dont know but I seem to have gotten the urge to play sim city 4 again with expansion pack....could never get the subways to work properly ;-(

anyway rise of nations: rise of legends is much much better than civ 4

Soldato
OP
i feel a bit silly for saying i enjoyed the demo now i thought the tutorial was well done.
im really tempted to buy it but you lot have put me off :p

Associate
It's an enjoyable blast tbh, although I've never played these type of games multi player so the replay value is small. I still have a crack on it every now and again, and as such I'd recommend it to anyone.

As for not getting into it, just play on an easier setting, on a smaller map a couple of times & you pick it up pretty quickly. Dont worry so much about the *best* tech development route, just do what you fancy, and you'll soon be on your way to world domination!

Soldato
leezer3 said:
SACRILEDGE!!!
Don't even think about comparing it to one of the best games of all time :D
*No full 3D terrain with manipulation!
*Far less possible units. (Alright, a lot of Alpha Centauri's 35,000 were simply different armour & weapon combos, but still ;) )
*Awful gameplay & scaling of units.
*Generally incredibly dissapointing; Civ 2/3 were far better in comparison, but Alpha Centauri (With Alien Crossfire) blows them all away.

-Leezer-

Its true no "Civ" games have come close to the greatness of Alpha Centauri and its expansion. For me what makes it better is the characters (i.e the religious group, the industrial ones, the clones etc) and the amount of diplomacy options.

Compared to Civ 3 the pace of AC seems a lot faster as well (not in game length) just units are built faster and theres more of a sense of urgancy and world war when you are at confilct.

Soldato
OP
i think i might order it later today, ill just download the latest patches just in case i decide to get it.

Any tips for a beginner, how should i play to win, what victory condition should i work too.
Im thinking of going on a small map and have 3 other players. How long would a game like that last 3-4 hours.

Caporegime
other players as in Real people or NPCs?

I wouldnt bother playing civ4 online its appaulingly slow.

I just use it as a time sink when i have literaly nothing else to do.

And yeah civ4 is a step backwards in the franchise they noobified it too much and changed the way cities and units work, the civ fanboy dosnt exactly know whats happening.

Back
Top Bottom