Which Lens to use indoors at a wedding party

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi,

I am going to a wedding tommorow and will be shooting mainly indoors (possibly low light conditions). I am taking the nikon SB-800 flash with the D50, but which lens should i take Nikon 50mm F1.4 or 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 ?

Soldato
Take the 50mm 1.4, it'll be much more useful in low light. The only thing you'll really not be able to do photograph is very large groups.

Is it not possible to take both? the 50mm is pocket sized.

The 50 will be great isolating people from the busy backgrounds and will let in more light + have the superior quality. But you are going to require something much wider when it comes to head to toe pictures.

Soldato
if you have the flash there is no need for the low light one
just take some card and strap it to the top of your flash unit if appropriate

beware of any professional flash guns though that sync with your unit and fire in tandom with you as I experienced..g :confused: :mad:

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
ok well to get the best of both group and portraits i will be taking the 18-70 with the SB-800. Do the same suggestions apply to this lense high aperature (F2-F4) ISO 400, Flash Compensation set to -0.7 and Camera EV to +.3 or +.7

Would you agree ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Depends on the flashgun you have :p ^

I used the 18-70 /only/ for the last wedding I shot, it's very decent and the dof/bokeh is nice, didn't have the 55mm prime available that day so onmly had that to use.

It's useful since there will be a lot of group shots especially when you are taking one shot and randomly the rest of the friends and family jump in you'll be thankful that 50mm wasn't all you had!

Then again the 50mm will be best for candids, it will give a much nicer impact on solo shots and headshots of 3-4 people or general walk around grab shots!

Soldato
If you take the 18-70 you'll end up with photos very similar to what everyone will take.
The 50mm prime will force you to capture stuff from different angles, perspectives etc and you'll get better moments from the day.

Associate
SDK^ said:
If you take the 18-70 you'll end up with photos very similar to what everyone will take.
The 50mm prime will force you to capture stuff from different angles, perspectives etc and you'll get better moments from the day.

I'd have to agree here - no reason not to take the 50mm as well it's only a couple of inches deep so will fit in the pocket. I've taken a couple of shots at weddings and my fav's have always been with the 'nifty 50'

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Soldato
Sleepyd said:
Disagree, there's a lot to be said for capturing the natural ambient light if you are able to.

indoors mine often come out quite soft, well the last wedding I went to anyway
my main problem was getting a nice shot with the 50mm on a cropped sensor in a very crowded room
one or two worked out for me but not many. will try harder next time!

Back
Top Bottom