BIOS beeping

Soldato
I altered some memory settings in the BIOS of my ASUS K8N-DL, saved, and then on re-boot, everything powers up but no output to the display, and I get a long beep, a pause, long beep, pause, long beep, pause etc etc. Anyone know what these beep codes mean ? It would be logical if it meant a memory problem but I'm not sure. So far, attempts to clear the CMOS have been totally unsuccessful :(

Soldato
OP
Makes sense since it was memory settings that I changed, but then why doesn't the CMOS clear solve it by re-setting back to default...

Associate
It'd be useful to know your full specs.

If you are running dual-channel, try using only one stick of ram.

If still no luck, try swapping your RAM out - you may have borked it if you've done something silly with timings (unlikely).

And, are you shorting the CMOS for long enough - change the jumpers for a good 10 seconds to be sure.

M

Soldato
OP
ASUS K8N-DL
2 x dual core Opteron 265s
4 x 1GB Corsair ECC RAM

I have tried removing all the sticks and just trying one stick, in various sockets.
I've also left the battery out, ATX power conenctors removed, jumpers in the clear CMOS position overnight. Still no joy. The CMOS isn't clearing as it should, or either that the BIOS is corrupted. I've raised a support ticket with ASUS so will see what happens. If no joy I'll need to RMA the board.

Soldato
OP
Well I got a reply very promptly from an ASUS engineer in China :cool:

He suggests trying to clear the CMOS by reversing the battery:

======================================================
1. Cut the power supply for whole system and open your case;
2. Take out the Cmos battery from the battery socket;
3. Install your battery with "reverse side" that means turn the battery 180 degree and put in into battery socket;
4. Hold about 30 seconds, then take out the battery and install it normally;
5. Plug the power cord and Power on .
=======================================================

This is a new approach - the motherboard manual simply suggests using the jumper. So I'll give this a try tonight. I'm not too hopeful but let's see

Back
Top Bottom