Poker

Don
be selective with the hands you play , play mainly premium hands but play them agressively ( obviously you need to mix it up a bit but use this as a general strategy )

Don
seek said:
what are premium hands?

mid to high pairs , 2 cards 10 or above or A x suited would be a VERY basic starting point

some will advocate tighter play than this but with beginners ( and assuming you are playing NL tournament style ) then this should suit

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Never act on the past, Dont let the history of whats just happened effect your judgment.

Remember the lion king when Rafiki the baboon hits simba on the head and says "It doesnt matter its in the past"
Remember that and do what he says:p

Permabanned
seek said:
going to play poker tonight with a few friends and i've never played before... anyone got tips for a complete beginner? :o

Play very tight at first - You'll get a lot of players (especially if they're as inexperienced as you) going in with low pairs (and by low i mean anything lower than JJ)

Keep it tight, and be prepared to fold 80%+ of your hands at first.

As the players whittle down, be prepared to be much more aggressive.

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
Play very tight at first - You'll get a lot of players (especially if they're as inexperienced as you) going in with low pairs (and by low i mean anything lower than JJ)

Keep it tight, and be prepared to fold 80%+ of your hands at first.

As the players whittle down, be prepared to be much more aggressive.
sorry, what do you mean by 'tight'? :confused:

the other players have more experience than me. a couple of them play online for money. but i don't think they're really that amazing. as far as money is concerned i think we're each putting in just 10 (or something like that) and then playing with coppers. whoever is the overall winner with coppers at the end of the night takes home the entry fee kitty - £60.
it's just for fun really, not much at stake (thankfully!). :)

Permabanned
seek said:
sorry, what do you mean by 'tight'? :confused:

the other players have more experience than me. a couple of them play online for money. but i don't think they're really that amazing. as far as money is concerned i think we're each putting in just 10 (or something like that) and then playing with coppers. whoever is the overall winner with coppers at the end of the night takes home the entry fee kitty - £60.
it's just for fun really, not much at stake (thankfully!). :)

Playing 'tight' means not taking many risks - only bet when you have a strong hand.

Soldato
Hope this helps. Early postion is the first 3 seats from the big blind , middle position is the next 3. Late position is the last 2 seats.

This chart is basically the bible for beginners in poker.

Of course Its not perfect for every situation.But if you follow it you will do a lot better then with out it .

preflop chart.JPG

Back
Top Bottom