Poker question

Man of Honour
Scenario:

STT on Betfair, 9 of us left. BB@50. I'm holding pocket rockets pre-flop. I called instead of raising to maximise income. On the flop out comes A26. 5 players fold this hand.

I'm sat grinning because I've only got 350 or so chips left. I'm in a weak position on the table. We all go 50 again. Out comes an Ace on the turn. Checked and allowed them to do the running. Bear in mind I'm now holding AAAA6. The guy to my left goes in for 110, the guy opposite me folds and the guy to my right calls 110, I put in 220, the guy to my left goes all-in and the guy to my right folds.

The river card is a 9.

I get congratulated and say unlucky to the guy I took most chips off, and he says 'nice trap limp'.

I've had Google and found references to it, but nothing that explains it very well. Can anyone tell me what a trap limp is? I assume it means that I laid a good trap for him, ie played it so he had no idea the strength of my hand.

Soldato
"Fear the limper" ;)

Slow playing aces is dodgy imo, but looks like you played them to perfection. I just had a similar situation on lads with quad jacks actually :p

You're right on the money with what you think it is, showing no strength pre-flop, getting others in the hand, then just minimum raising a 110 bet post-flop shows to people you're serious, but most people cant lay down cards after a flat raise :p

Permabanned
I'd have gone all-in straight away, TBH - if you're behind in chips then you're never going to be in a position to lay down a bet that will deter anyone with a half decent hand.

Slow playing just invites more players to stay in and then theres always the chance that one of them might get lucky on the flop and out-draw you. Better to go all-in, scare as many out as possible and reduce the odds of being out-drawn, especially when you're low enough on chips that its a win-or-bust hand.

Caporegime
Gilly said:
I've had Google and found references to it, but nothing that explains it very well. Can anyone tell me what a trap limp is? I assume it means that I laid a good trap for him, ie played it so he had no idea the strength of my hand.

It's where you literally 'limped' into a pot, as you would if you had poor cards and wanted to see the flop, or if you had mid suited-connectors. You continued to limp knowing you had the nuts (cards impossible to beat), and setting a trap for them to bet big, once they do you have them trapped for all their committed chips.

That is a limp trap.

Man of Honour
OP
:confused:

I wanted as many in as long as possible. I needed their chips.

No point throwing away a massive chance at cash.

[edit]Aimed @ Visage

Last edited:
Soldato
poker such a situation dependent game you just simply can't say that.

If your heads up you may want to slow play.

If there are lots of players then yeah you might want to pile some chips in preflop.

As in most poker cases the answer is normally "it depends" :p

Man of Honour
OP
divaboy said:
As in most poker cases the answer is normally "it depends" :p
And as I got the exact situation I was playing for, I think I played it pretty well :)

Just finished playing the table, finished second. Should've beaten the guy really.

Thanks for the answers all, makes it much clearer :)

Soldato
Gilly said:
And as I got the exact situation I was playing for, I think I played it pretty well :)

Just finished playing the table, finished second. Should've beaten the guy really.

Not trying to start arguements , but how was the table was it a tight agressive table, loose passiv etc. Not trying to puot you down 2 nd is good in a tournie.

But just because you win a hand poker , doesn't mean you played the hand correctly.

How much did you win gilly for 2nd then just out of interest

Permabanned
Gilly said:
:confused:

I wanted as many in as long as possible. I needed their chips.

No point throwing away a massive chance at cash.

[edit]Aimed @ Visage

And on another day somone with a rubbish pre-flop hand would stay in in the absence of an aggressive move by yourself and would strike gold on the flop and you'd be going home.

Aggression is *always* the way for when you're short-stacked with a good hand, since even AA is a long way from a guaranteed win, and the odds of winning will only get longer the more players are still in the game.

Man of Honour
OP
I mentioned above it was on Betfair :)

diva, it was a fairly aggressive table with a couple playing tight. The 3 I ended up against (and definitely the final two) had been playing aggressive throughout. I was positive that at least one of them would push me all the way.

I wasn't planning to play the entire thing the way I did. I just saw an opportunity at AAA to make more money than I would have all-in from the off. When the fourth came out my aim was to get one of them to go all-in, because I wasn't going to be beaten :) Him putting up 110 on a BB50 hand was just what I needed :)

Visage said:
And on another day somone with a rubbish pre-flop hand would stay in in the absence of an aggressive move by yourself and would strike gold on the flop and you'd be going home.

Aggression is *always* the way for when you're short-stacked with a good hand, since even AA is a long way from a guaranteed win, and the odds of winning will only get longer the more players are still in the game.
I didn't care about losing at that point. It was still early in the game and I was already down. I had 2 other STTs running at the same time, with bigger stakes behind them.

Soldato
Visage said:

Phew I'm glad I stopped playing poker a month. All this discussion about ceratin hands etc reminds why I stopped playing!!!

Good fun but when the stakes get higher it gets stressful .

Glad I got out with a tidy profit ;)

Man of Honour
OP
I'm done for the day now. I can only play so many I get bored. I'm up for today so that'll do :)

Where do you play? I used to play PartyPoker and PokerStars, the Betfair software was just far too slow for me to start with, but you get used to it :)

Soldato
I play on Stan James. I really like the feel of the tables plus you can play $2.50 tournaments :D I don't usually play for a lot online as I just like to muck around. I'm going to look for a new company to use I think once I get my new card in August.

Back
Top Bottom