• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800 XT power question

Soldato
Hey all,

I received my x1800xt this morning. I thought (like my 9800pro) these cards were powerd by a molex cable. Looks like there is this sqare power input on the card.

Its like the same shape as the cable I used to power my mother board. I have one of those cables spare from my psu (think its called P4) can I used that to directly power the card? Otherwise I have to use the adapter.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Raikiri said:
... It should use a 6 pin PCI-e power cable

http://www.linuxhardware.org/images...0-091704/NVIDIA-GeForce-6800GT-PCIE-power.jpg

like that ^

http://www.59hardware.net/~tesla/green_power/pics/pcie.jpg

The one on the left is the 4pin one you are talking about, which will probably kill the card. You want the one on the right (I guess you have the asrock AGP/PCI-e board?)

Thanks for reply,

The board im using now is an Abit AV8. My DFI ultra will be arriving monday.

Will have a look at my psu connectors now.....

Soldato
OP
Looks like my Tagen 480w does not have the direct PCI-E connector so I will have to use the adapter. I have a PCI-E adapter that came with my PSU which I d prefer to use as it seems to be higher quiality. The adapter has the PCI connector running into TWO molex connectors? Surely it does not need that much power?

Soldato
OP
Raikiri said:
I think the PCI-e power cable runs off 2 rails (hence the 6 pins) so it does need 2

WOW, thats a lot of power! Can someone confrim that?

Also, my monitor does not have a dvi lead so I will have to use the other adapter (vga - dvi) to get a signal. Will I see an improvment using a DVI signal or will it be lost at the adapter?
Regards,

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ice Rich said:
WOW, thats a lot of power! Can someone confrim that?

Also, my monitor does not have a dvi lead so I will have to use the other adapter (vga - dvi) to get a signal. Will I see an improvment using a DVI signal or will it be lost at the adapter?
Regards,

Using the adapter means you won't be using the DVI feed, but the analogue feed that is from the card (different pins on the DVI output from the DVI signal).

Plug 2 molexes into the PCI-E adaptor, I think its done that way just to make the wiring simpler, they can both be on the same rail.

Soldato
Minstadave said:
Plug 2 molexes into the PCI-E adaptor, I think its done that way just to make the wiring simpler, they can both be on the same rail.

I didnt word that very well :o I mean each line of 3 are like their own connector rather than rail and one molex powers one set of 3.

Back
Top Bottom