Nildram... slow?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been on Nildram 8Mb for about a month now, and so far the highest speed I've gotten is about 400Kbp/s while downloading Vista.

Most of the time it's around 100k, and I'm lucky if i get anything over 30 from bittorrent. Upload speeds seem fine, most of the time they're around 40k, which more often that not is faster than download.

I've spoken to them but i just keep getting fobbed off with something along the lines of 'the line gets regraded every few weeks and should speed up over time'.

Anyone else got a slow nildram connection or is it just me? If it's not just me can someone suggest an alternative ISP as i'm not impressed with these muppets already.

Soldato
Spunkey said:
Thanks for helping!

It fluctautes between 190k-300k, most of the time it's around 230.

190-300kB/sec or 190-300kbit/sec?

Also what is your connection speed as reported by your router/modem?

Soldato
I found your stars from another threat

"Modulation: Multi-mode
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz

Item / Downstream / Upstream / Unit
SNR Margin / 6 / 23 / dB
Line Attenuation / 34 / 38 / dB
Data Rate / 7040 / 448 / kbps"

Those stats look fine. You should be getting 6.5-7.0mbit from your line, if your not then its either Nildram's network suffering from congestion, or its your BT exchange's fault.

If you follow this link and see what speed you get on the BT's speed test, then post the results here.

Soldato
OP
BT Speedtest said:
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

4806 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

Hmmm. Seems higher than i thought, although 4.8Mb is still below Nildram's fault tolerance line of 5.8Mb.

Caporegime
Spunkey said:
although 4.8Mb is still below Nildram's fault tolerance line of 5.8Mb.

The 5.8Mbps isn't a "fault tolerance". The minimum that would be considered a fault is 400kbps.

Speedtest isn't that bad (certainly better than the throughput you're seeing), but the BT Speedtest's been shown to be pretty useless for connections running at speeds >4Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom