Muslims/Sikhs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Who here is a Muslim or a Sikh? Can you enlighten us about your customs and religion? Why is it wrong to eat pork or cut your hair, for example?

This is a serious question, no wisecracks, please, it may well offend.

Man of Honour
I know plenty of Muslims through school and work, and have worked with a guy that was Sikh as well, but never inquired as to why some of their eating habits were restrained in some places tbh.

It just seemed that they did it naturally so I never felt a requirement to question it.

Every year the guys in the office fast for Ramadan and then have a feast of Asian food when it is over, and all the guys that like spicy food chow down on this feast all day. Makes those of us that don't like spicy food feel left out :(

Associate
Isn't the pork thing to do with it being regarded as being an 'unclean' animal - nothing to do with its' mystical properties/worth, just pure common sense & hygene back in the days before refrigerators & chemicals...

Just what i've heard as a white agnostic (CofE by birth...)

Caporegime
im muslim...:D

as for pork..yes we cannot eat or touch it as it is considered unclean and not only that they eat meat as it is...so as muslims we are not allowed to eat any animal that is:
1 a scavenger eg like a vulture etc
2 a meateater eg like a tiger or lion etc

also we are not allowed to eat anything that contains lard or gelatine etc...as they are strictly forbidden...

As for other things we are allowed to eat...we can eat anything really as long as it isnt a meateater or a scavenger afaik...the only meat we are allowed to eat is meat that is halal...meaning that when the animal is slaughtered gods name is recited upon cutting its throat...we do not kill animals by any other means...

We also cannot touch alcohol or drugs of any sort...and im not talking bout the type u get from ur doc....;) ..why may u ask...well because it impairs ur judgement and ends up with u not being in control of ur actions etc....

as for our hair...we are allowed to cut it to any length or keep it to any length...:D

any more q's dont hesitate to ask...i admit that i do not everything about my religion...but i do know the most basic things which are the important ones...:)

Soldato
Althou muslims are allowed to eat meat does it not have to pecial meat, i belive it to be called "halall" (cant spell).

Its like the blood drained first before death.

Enlighten me please!

Caporegime
Originally posted by S@njay
Althou muslims are allowed to eat meat does it not have to pecial meat, i belive it to be called "halall" (cant spell).

Its like the blood drained first before death.

Enlighten me please!

yes u r right...we are only allowed to eat halal meat...where after the animal is slaughtered we hang it up so that the blood runs clear of the body.

Permabanned
/\/\/\/\/ wot he said

On the halal side of things, the animal is cut in the throat as this is the quickest way for the thing to die.

On the drink side of things, it is due to it impairing ur judgement, im happy to be drink as i have seen some of the birds my m8 has got off with:p It doesnt hold me back in the slightest, i go out clubbin, down to pubs, im normally the designated driver!

a lot of peeps say oh being a muslim holds u back from integrating and participating, tosh is what i say to that, it hasnt stopped me in the slightest, most of my friends are english, and fully understand what im about, i think a lot of peeps try to stuff religion down other peeps throats, they try to be condasending (sp) and belittling, this annoys peeps and gives a bad impression of my religion.

Man of Honour
As I said I've known plenty of Muslims, and there are a couple that will try and ram it down your throat, luckily I'd already met people who were nice guys so I knew immediately that it was the individual and not the religion, so it's not like I would think less of someone for being Muslim (not that I'd ever judge someone on their religion anyway...)

Soldato
I don't give a tosh what religion anyone's from. If doing something is against his or her religion, I will respect that.

What I will not respect is preaching me about their religion's supposed advantages. I got my own and will stick with it, thanks very much

Caporegime
Originally posted by wohoo
/\/\/\/\/ wot he said

On the halal side of things, the animal is cut in the throat as this is the quickest way for the thing to die.

On the drink side of things, it is due to it impairing ur judgement, im happy to be drink as i have seen some of the birds my m8 has got off with:p It doesnt hold me back in the slightest, i go out clubbin, down to pubs, im normally the designated driver!

a lot of peeps say oh being a muslim holds u back from integrating and participating, tosh is what i say to that, it hasnt stopped me in the slightest, most of my friends are english, and fully understand what im about, i think a lot of peeps try to stuff religion down other peeps throats, they try to be condasending (sp) and belittling, this annoys peeps and gives a bad impression of my religion.

i agree with wot u say m8..i myself was a drinker up till feb this yr...now i have given it up...i suppose i have reached that stage in my life where i need to start concentrating on my religion etc...its taken me almost 20 odd yrs to realise this...btw im 30...:D

being muslim does not hold u back at all..well in my case it hasnt..ive done most things as a young adult and can safely say that i have no regrets wotsoever...
now my priorities have changed..i got a brilliant job working as an IT Director for a company which belongs to a childhood m8 of mine in canada...and hes put me in charge..paying me a ridiculous amount of money at end of month...so i now live a very comfortable and swish lifestyle...:D

but ive had to make a few sacrifices which up till yet have not killed me...lol...i now do my prayers 5 times a day and concentrate more on my religion....whcih was more than i was doing last yr..where i was unemployed and virtually penniless...:(

Permabanned
Some for ya

Ramadan, basically to teach people about self sacrifice, and to celebrate the `writing` of the koran

Eid ul fitr, clebration of the end of ramadan above, basically an all u can eat day!

Eid ul adha, an event to commemorate the time when abraham nearlt sacrificed his one and only son, to demonstrate faith to allah, on this day we sacrifice an animal and ither share it with the poor or friends/family/neighbours.

Hajj, a pilgrimage to mecca (not the bingo :p ) which every muslim has to do once in a life time.

Prayer, we should pray 5 times a day, once in the morning, midday,mid afters,evening and night.

The problem we muslims in the uk have is not one of religion, infact there are verses in the koran, which tell u to respect the laws of which ever land u are in and to integrate fully with peeps around u, to gain education etc. The prophet (pbuh) when he introduced islam to foreign lands, let the `natives` still practice their own religion, infact some of the most scientific/astronomical/medical advances were taken place when the arabs,greeks,spaniards,hindu`s worked together, for ex the no 0, was worked between the arabs and hindus. we havent always been the nutters that we seem to be portrayed as.

What has been to our detriment, is the tradition/cultural baggage, some peeps seem to be carrying from areas like pak/india,not cos of the religion, its difficult to explain;)

Permabanned
What I will not respect is preaching me about their religion's supposed advantages. I got my own and will stick with it, thanks very much

Exactly the way it should be, why wont peeps understand that:rolleyes:

Soldato
I think The_Spawn's answer was pretty good there.

The thing about hair. I think guys arent allow to have it past shoulder length. Thats what i've heard or have been told.

Oh yea im Muslim :p

Concentrating on being a tru follower of Islam in a world that we live in at the moment is truly difficult and a lot of people will say the same. Theres soo many distractions and things which lure u towards them. Thats something u have to overcome as a muslim. Show that u are a tru believer and have faith in ur religion and God.

I gotta say upto the age of 10 i was a really good muslim. praying and reading all the time. Going to mosque and everything. That was under the influence of my mom. But once she died everything went downhill. Lets jus say i had a weakness for naked woman ;) but who doesnt.
So im somehow trying to get myself back into my religion and its really tough. Ive gone on and off with it and thats probably caused by the death of my mom and gran.

Anyway Islam has some interesting stuff involved with it. If anyone is interested in it just search the net for the stuff. You'll find a lot of interesting information.

I usually look for the things related to the day of judgment.

Search for 'Signs of the day of judgement' and 'Signs of the final hour'

Soldato
Originally posted by wohoo

Hajj, a pilgrimage to mecca (not the bingo :p ) which every muslim has to do once in a life time.

Prayer, we should pray 5 times a day, once in the morning, midday,mid afters,evening and night.

The problem we muslims in the uk have is not one of religion, infact there are verses in the koran, which tell u to respect the laws of which ever land u are in and to integrate fully with peeps around u, to gain education etc. The prophet (pbuh) when he introduced islam to foreign lands, let the `natives` still practice their own religion, infact some of the most scientific/astronomical/medical advances were taken place when the arabs,greeks,spaniards,hindu`s worked together, for ex the no 0, was worked between the arabs and hindus. we havent always been the nutters that we seem to be portrayed as.

What has been to our detriment, is the tradition/cultural baggage, some peeps seem to be carrying from areas like pak/india,not cos of the religion, its difficult to explain;)

Oh yea you do hajj if you are fit to do it. Basically if you arent physically capable then you dont have to. Thats what ive been told.

Oh and the thing about fitting in. I can totally agree with that. It is written that you have to become part of the society u live in.
I use to think . why not close urself off and pray all the time. i mean that would make u a good muslim. but apparently u have to live a normal life.

And the pakistani culture which has been brought from pakistan absolutely sucks. Im glad im a guy cause seriously when ur a girl and u get stuck in the culture it aint that great. Your stuck inside all the time. Doin the cooking, cleaning and all that.

Wasnt really a 50/50 relationship in pakistan. When i get married its gonna be different. You gotta respect your partner

Soldato
OP
Talking to a proper believer is far better than scouring the internet. You learn a lot more from personal experience than reams of text.

Methinks lotsa people are confused, even though they may not admit it, that all muslims are suicide bombers acting upon their religion. I don't personally think this is quite true, but may be a corruption of said religion. Am I correct in my assumption and could someone enlighten us as to why suicide bombing has become prevalent?

Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
Talking to a proper believer is far better than scouring the internet. You learn a lot more from personal experience than reams of text.

Methinks lotsa people are confused, even though they may not admit it, that all muslims are suicide bombers acting upon their religion. I don't personally think this is quite true, but may be a corruption of said religion. Am I correct in my assumption and could someone enlighten us as to why suicide bombing has become prevalent?

cause they're taking 'JIHAD' literally.

jihad actually means fighting to make yourself better. if you're jobless, and try as you can to find a job to support yourself and the family then that's jihad too. it doesn't mean killing people who doesn't believe in your faith.

i'm also a muslim in a foreign land...

Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak

but i honestly think that suicide bombings aint nothing new look at the kamikazi pilots of world war II..it all based on how much you are prepared to sacrifice for your cause or beliefs..personally i a have had a season ticket for sunderland for some 18 years so i must be classed in the suicidal area

Soldato
Originally posted by Bramsafc
but i honestly think that suicide bombings aint nothing new look at the kamikazi pilots of world war II..it all based on how much you are prepared to sacrifice for your cause or beliefs..personally i a have had a season ticket for sunderland for some 18 years so i must be classed in the suicidal area

That is an entirely different can of worms.

Suicide Bombers do it because of their own interpretation of the Muslim scripts, whilst the Japanese did it because of the Bushi-do. Totally different culture, different values, different reasons.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by modD
cause they're taking 'JIHAD' literally.

jihad actually means fighting to make yourself better. if you're jobless, and try as you can to find a job to support yourself and the family then that's jihad too. it doesn't mean killing people who doesn't believe in your faith.

i'm also a muslim in a foreign land...

I had literally NO IDEA about that. That kinda jihad actually makes sense. I wondered where the founding of the terminology came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom