Dial-up modem problems, I'm out of ideas

Permabanned
I need to use dial-up to access the internet for a few days so I found a PCI software modem (Intel 536EP chipset) which has been unused for a few years. The last time it was used, it worked fine (in another computer). I can't get it to work though :/

I have signed up to a dial-up PAYG ISP and connected to it successfully via a laptop so that proves that the phone line, the telephone cable and the ISP phone number etc. all work okay. So the problem is with my modem or my computer.

I have set up the dial-up connection and you can hear it dial the number, then start the screechy type sound that dial-up modems make when establishing a connection. What seems to be the problem is, after about two seconds there is a slight pause where it goes silent, then it continues. Then after a few more seconds the noise just 'hangs' - it keeps making noise but just a single pitch. I can only think it is because of the 'pause' where it goes silent briefly.

I have tried the following...

different version drivers (4.43, 4.77)
tried the modem in every PCI slot (even removing all the other PCI cards)
tried lowering the send/receive limits both slightly and to the minimum
tried lowering the maximum port speed from 115200 to lower settings
tried changing the COM port that it uses
tried the modem on a clean install of Windows, which I installed with my cable modem and network cable disconnected in case of some kind of conflict

Nothing I do makes any difference. I am coming to the conclusion that the modem must be faulty :rolleyes: Windows says the modem is working properly, and that there are no conflicts. I am using XP Home SP2 btw.

Here is what I get when I query the modem...
ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - Intel(R) 536EP Modem
H.324 video-ready rev. 1.0
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,1,8
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - +GCI: B4
AT+GCI=? - +GCI: (B5,61,35,14,25,27,85,88,98,A9,BC,A5,31,3C,82,52,57,58,68,A0,AE,04,0A,A6,2D,46,59,69,7B,B4,0F,3D,8B,84,00,B8,09,6C,26,50,9C,7E,07,16,73,FE,53,89,54,0B,0E,12,49,4E,4F,5B,7F,87,8C,A3,AC,B7,BB,C4,4D,F9,51,FC,B3,FB,20,2B,33,37,41,45,8A,36,2E,9F,E1,1B,FA,F8,F7,A1,55)
ATI1 - Intel(R) 536EP Modem
ATI2 - Intel Corporation
ATI3 - 536EP
ATI4 - 536EP Release 4.77.8.0 - Dec 23 2004 - 19:19:46
ATI5 - V.92 Capable Modem
Host I/F: PCI
ATI6 - DSP Patch Level:09.86
ATI7 - OK

Has anyone got any ideas? :D Anything else I can try before this gets binned?

TIA :)

/kicks myself for selling my old Diamond 56e external modem

Permabanned
try:

enable modem logging, see what happens before termination

try turning off firewall

try another ISP

-------------
1. Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
2. On the Modems tab, click the modem whose commands you want to log.
3. Click Properties, and then click the Diagnostics tab.
4. In Logging, select Append to Log

Commands sent to the modem are captured in the file:
C:\Windows\System32\ModemLog_Model.txt.

Last edited:
Soldato
bitslice said:
try another ISP

Try reading the OP?

dirtydog said:
I have signed up to a dial-up PAYG ISP and connected to it successfully via a laptop so that proves that the phone line, the telephone cable and the ISP phone number etc. all work okay.

It does sound like the modem is at fault. PCI modems are cruddy to say the least, I got into the habit of throwing them away at work if the original driver cds went missing.

Permabanned
OP
bitslice said:
try:

enable modem logging, see what happens before termination

try turning off firewall

try another ISP

I originally signed up with Virgin but when it didn't work, I tried both Orange and BT Yahoo. All of them failed to connect in exactly the same way.

I then tried my laptop with Virgin and it worked first time. So it's fair to say that the problem is either with my modem or my configuration of it :)

It doesn't terminate the connection itself, it just hangs on the single pitched noise for ages. Turning the firewall off made no difference either.

I've racked my brains and it *should* work so it is looking like the modem - I know what cheap rubbish these software modems are :/ It's just a shame to buy a new one when I only need it for a few days!

Permabanned
umm, really clutching at straws now...

you used the same cable that the laptop used (...sorry) ?

anything in the log ?

the dialup pause sounds a bit like a speed negotiation, did the second sequence sound slightly lower in pitch or the same ?

you could try resting the modem to factury default, usually "AT&F".

try adjusting the S9 register. (length of time that a modem will wait while negotiating carrier before it gives up.) increase this value to 2-4 seconds. "ATS9=40".

disable error correction, possibly "AT%C"

unplug house lines and use the master socket, some modems are just picky.

dialup a known RAS server just to eliminate ISP weirdness.

sigh.
usually modem problems are easy, I just remove the cable from the ethernet port where the user plugged it, and insert into the line socket.
:)

Permabanned
OP
bitslice said:
umm, really clutching at straws now...

you used the same cable that the laptop used (...sorry) ?

Yes I did :) It worked on the laptop fine, a brand new cable never before used.

BUT......

For kicks and giggles I just tried another cable and...

it works :eek:

So WTF is that all about then! :)

Back
Top Bottom