barcelona shirt sponsor

Associate
i know this should be in sport section but i thought i would post it here.

Barcelona have agreed, for the first time in club history, to have a sponsor on the front of their shirt and it will be a UNICEF logo. On top of all that they have offered 0.7% of their yearly turnover to be donated to UNICEF.

So not only have they never accepted the huge amount of cash a shirt sponsor would bring them, now they're actually paying for their sponsor. Previously unseen in world football and such a lovely statement.

Permabanned
Under a proposed five-year contract worth a reported $190 million, Barcelona's red-and-blue striped jerseys are expected to carry "Beijing" or "Beijing 2008" across the front next season. There will be no Olympic rings, but the Chinese capital — host of the 2008 Games — figures the message will get through.

:D

edit

damn tried to get you all thinking "Beijing 2008" would be the new sponser :(

Associate
That's giving up on a lot of cash! Spurs have about 34m over 5 years from Mansion I think, and we're just Yids!

Soldato
Was just a matter of time when this was going to happen, glad to see it for a good cause. However, the shirts look so much better without any sponsors.

Soldato
I first heard rumours about a new shirt sponsor a year and a half ago, talk was about a £200Million deal (or something similarly ridiculous) with one of the big sports companies.

I am extremely glad that it turned out to be this, fits their image and a great message to everyone :)

Soldato
Wryel said:
That's giving up on a lot of cash! Spurs have about 34m over 5 years from Mansion I think, and we're just Yids!
I think they will make more money than that of this scheme. More people will buy the shirt because of the nice charity logo they have stuck on it. Even with the 0.7% of income they give away turnover will be increased a lot by this.

/cynic

Soldato
Mr_L said:
I think they will make more money than that of this scheme. More people will buy the shirt because of the nice charity logo they have stuck on it. Even with the 0.7% of income they give away turnover will be increased a lot by this.

/cynic

true, but it'l be a nominal figure compared with what they could potentially earn from a shirt sponsor. Doesn't bother me if its benificial for them, it's certainly going to be nice for UNICEF:)

Soldato
I'm not sure it will be nominal. I agree that €2 million is a nice charitable gift, but I'm sure Barcelona will make a lot more off this than the sum they are giving away. :)

Man of Honour
Mr_L said:
I'm not sure it will be nominal. I agree that €2 million is a nice charitable gift, but I'm sure Barcelona will make a lot more off this than the sum they are giving away. :)

Maybe, but at the end of the day, are the people being helped by Unicef due to that extra revenue really going to care if Barca are making a few quid as well? Something is better than nothing.

Soldato
They won't, I was just pointing out that it's smart business by Barcelona. Increased income from shirt sales and a nice bit of PR for them too. :)

Back
Top Bottom