Ways to kill time on a tropical island

Associate
I am going to be 'stuck' in Fiji for 3 weeks doing marine conservation (i.e. scuba diving, looking at fishes and writing down their names). Unfortunately the island is very remote. It has no electricity, no running water and no cell phone coverage. Scuba diving can only take up a few small hours so I really don't know what I'm going to do to while away the hours. I thought about reading but I have no attention span whatsoever. Is there anything which fits with the above constraints that can keep my mind off how I wish there was something to do?

Also, the 'chief' on the island has banned alcohol so theres no drinking either. :eek:

Associate
OP
Raikiri said:
Sneak alcohol there, buy a Nintendo DS/PSP and a load of spare batteries for them :p Portable DVD player that runs on standard batteries etc.

I think it's quite a hippy expedition I'm going on. They'd probably stone me for that lol!

I have seen solar chargers for ipods, that might be useful...

Soldato
Sunbathe.

Carve a monument to a pagan god out of a tree, paint your face, wear animal skins and go all native on your colleagues.

Count trees.

Make a friend out of a football and have long talks with him.

Hunt for Pirate treasure.

Build a scale model sandcastle of the Tower of London.

Sleep.

Go fishing.

Associate
take a frisbee, football, or such like, get some team games going.

If you do plenty of work and play in daylight hours then you will probably just sleep when it gets dark, or tell ghost stories and frighten the life out of each other!!

Soldato
An acoustic guitar and 5000 packs of strings!

A library.

Solar charger for MP3 player would indeed be nice but I think that's cheating really ;)

edit: oops I thought we were on about a hypothetical cast-away scenario but never mind :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Take a girl with you ;)

Learn about the local people and culture. Maybe help them with any building or any work that they need to do.

Explore the island.

Relax and think of nothing and do nothing.

Get a tan.

Try and read nonetheless.

Do some exercise/keep fit. Or bring some stuff like a football or a frisbee to chuck around and have some team games with. Teach the locals about it?

Build a boat or a hut.

Take a guitar and teach yourself how to play.

Soldato
Sounds like a fantastic trip.

How are you going to do it, because that sounds like heaven to me.
Diving off the shores of a beautiful island noting sealife and having plenty of carefree time...what more could you ask for?

I'd personally take all my cameras and make myself a mini project - like noting the view from a certain area and different times of the day over your entire trip.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
What island are you staying on?

There will be plenty to do, go walk around the island jungles and take a camera and there are/should be water falls you could play in.

You dont need Electricity, a phone or alcohol to have fun

Back
Top Bottom