Firefox Fonts are crap compared to Safari

Permabanned
Right, im having many issues with my recent transition from Windows to MacOSX. My latest and most irritating one that I cannot for the life of me solve is to do with the fonts in Firefox.

If you click this picture :: http://www.phaze1.net/images/firefox.jpg - you can see what I mean.

On the left is OCUK in Firefox, and on the right is the same thread in Safari. The fonts in Safari are much crisper than in Firefox. Firefox is making some fonts, especially the smaller fonts like forum usernames etc really hard to read and its doing my nut in. I have played around with the settings Sys Prefs regarding font smoothing and nothing changes it. Am I missing something really obvious?

Im using a MacBook Pro 15" btw. Please help me urgently! Thanks!

Permabanned
OP
Tabbed Browsing ?

I want to use Firefox. I have just made a discovery!. I have my work Mac running MacOSX Panther 10.3.9, with the latest Firefox - the fonts on that are fine - and im using a TFT flat panel.

So its either something to do with Tiger, something different from Panther, or something to do with the MacBook itsself.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Safari does support tabbed browsing (check the preferences etc to enable it).

IIRC, OS X is set to deal with fonts differently on the HD screens but I can't find the info on the Apple site at the mo.

Caporegime
Firefox on a Mac is a total abortion, just use Safari and be happy. Unless you need a million extensions which just make the thing fall over and become useless every time it's updated.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I get this on my iMac too mate.. I've found it annoying to say the least.

Yes, they do use the same panel as the cinema displays (30% brighter blah blah) so you can either use Camino, or use Safari if you NEED the fonts.

Personally I prefer Firefox, only because I run it tweaked so it's uber fast :D

Soldato
They both look bad to me - look how fat normal text is in Safari, never mind actual bold text.

IMO all of OS X's text anti-aliasing is horrible. I disabled it using "TinkerTool".

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah.. Just tried Camino and Safari (had to search for it coz' I banished it from my dock :rolleyes: )... they both look the same.

In my eyes Safari is nice, however, I always just use Firefox as that's what I'm used to :(

Associate
EVH said:
Personally I prefer Firefox, only because I run it tweaked so it's uber fast :D

Please tell me more about this tweaking, sounds interesting.

As for the fonts, i'd have to say firefox (left of the pic) looks a hell of a lot better than the bold and blotchy text on the right, but it might look different on different screens or whatever, i dunno.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

TCEuk said:
Please tell me more about this tweaking, sounds interesting.

As for the fonts, i'd have to say firefox (left of the pic) looks a hell of a lot better than the bold and blotchy text on the right, but it might look different on different screens or whatever, i dunno.
Go to http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_8.html and choose the ones which you want.

Personally, I change all the "network.http.whatever" ones and a few others, and it flies along :D

FYI: The text on the left is the standard way the forums should look, and the right is how Firefox looks on a mac!

Soldato
wush said:
They both look bad to me - look how fat normal text is in Safari, never mind actual bold text.

IMO all of OS X's text anti-aliasing is horrible. I disabled it using "TinkerTool".
Cool :) thought it was just me, TinkerTool has sorted it out now tho :D

Soldato
whitecrook said:
Firefox on Mac?? I thought that was Camino? What the hell is Firefox on Mac then and how does that fit into Camino/Mozilla etc?

Firefox is Firefox, Camino is Camino :)

Camino uses the Firefox rendering engine but is written using Cocoa, specfically for OSX, so looks more mac like and doesn't carry as much bloat as Firefox soo it's faster.

Soldato
I thought font rendering in OS X was rubbish all together, until you disable "font smoothing".

Everything seemed totally blurred for some reason :confused:

Back
Top Bottom