Anyone using Apple's Aperture to manage photos?

Associate
I've got Aperture 1.1.2 running on a PowerMac Dual 2GHz G5 and a 17" MacBook Pro (2.18GHz) both with 2GB RAM.

Aperture really slows down some times to the point where I get the spinning beach ball of death for 30 seconds or more.

On the MacBook, I only have about 150 photos (Canon RAW) and it's really getting annoying.

Has anyone got any tips to speed it up? I might have to try out Adobe Lightroom instead.

Soldato
On the Powermac a GFX card upgrade sounds like it makes a big diff - chap from here who bought my dualie powermca has gone from 5200 > 9800 > x800 and says the difference in aperture is amazing.

I have been playing with lightroom on my imac core duo and its very slow - i guess its not a universal app.

I will be trying aperture as soon as my ram comes thru so can report back then !

Associate
OP
Yeah. My PowerMac has a 9600. The MacBook Pro has a 256MB X1600 graphics chip and Aperture 1.1 is a Universal binary... so it will be interesting to compare the speed against Lightroom. I think Apple have created a dud this time. Very nice GUI, but terribly buggy and slow.

At least Adobe call it 'Beta' lol

Soldato
I've been trying out Aperture on my MacBook :) It's ok really, but i get the beachball thing a lot (especially when cropping or rotating). I've got Lightroom too, but haven't used it all that much, there are a lot of small things about it though that annoy me :(

Lightroom is faster, but it appears to be a lot more basic in what it does than Aperture. Aperture also runs quite well with dual monitors, which makes life a bit easier when reviewing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom