Look What I Just Recieved in the Post!

Soldato
Errr. I have 4 Black Widows (ATCS 201 B BXT to be precise) and they all have a fan mount/blowhole on the top :confused:

Edit: Just found the ***** article, the ones with blow holes are Black Widows as their case was a pre release so doesn't count :p ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Black/silver widow was a term coined by ATCS-tek for the MRO-16 originally produced in Champagne - the black/silver widow didn't have a top blow hole.

Once Cooler Master took a front seat the last of the ATCS-tek black widows were distributed in cooler master branding/packaging. Then cooler master started rolling out their own version, the 201 cases, there were many many variations with the new 201 model number, all of which had the top blow hole but were painted/anodised in differing colours. The all black 201-BXT with a mirror car paint soon started to be reffered to as the "black Widow"

There was also an all black version of the 201 which had a textured paint, the 201-BXJ

Associate
CaSh_MoNeY said:
Well i would be gutted if i had been sold one of these cases believing it was a "Black Widow" when in fact its not :confused:

All that is in it is a top blow hole - they are exactly the same case otherwise and made exactly the same way - i wouldn't be gutted

Associate
Harib0 said:
All that is in it is a top blow hole - they are exactly the same case otherwise and made exactly the same way - i wouldn't be gutted

Yep i understand the only difference(s), i said i would be gutted if i was led to believe that i had purchased a Black Widow!

The difference or name would not bother me...as i said earlier, still a nice case!

Associate
Ok guys lets clear this up - the Black Widow as Yewen and I talk of is the ATCS-tek case!

The name Black Widow which has come to mean a 201b-BXT made by coolermaster is still a black widow of sorts Granted not the original ATCS-tek case.

My comments were primarily to Yewen as we are both great fans of these cases, just a bit of banter about case spotting!

Analagy time : its a bit like a mini being made by mini cooper, BMW took them over and made some changes (ok more changes than coolermaster did with the BW when taking over the ATCS-tek cases) but the end car is still a mini

A mini made by mini cooper = a black widow made by ATCS-tek
A mini made by BMW = a black widow made by Cooler Master

(knowledge is destruction)

Associate
OP
I didnt buy it thinking it was one of the rare, older Black Widows - I bought it fully knowing what it was, and for the sole reason that its a great looking case (and the components that were inside were good for a HTPC).

Where you got the idea that I payed silly money for a case I thought was something else rather confuses me tbh.

so no, I am not "Gutted" as you put it, in the slightest, infact Im well happy.

Soldato
Harib0 said:
Ok guys lets clear this up - the Black Widow as Yewen and I talk of is the ATCS-tek case!

The name Black Widow which has come to mean a 201b-BXT made by coolermaster is still a black widow of sorts Granted not the original ATCS-tek case.

So it's NOT a black widow, is it? It's a black widow copy made by another manufacturer who bought the original jigs and pressings. You can't have it both ways. It's either an ATCS-tek case or a Coolermaster. If it's a Coolermaster, it's not a Black Widow. Is that correct?

I am genuinely interested as lots of cases are advertised for very big money as 'Black Widow' and from the looks of it, lots of them aren't actually the real deal. Also - I would hate to sell a black Coolermaster case to someone as a Black Widow and then find out I'd mis-described it.

Can you see why I'm interested in clarifying this? The OP didn't buy a Black Widow, he bought a black Coolermaster case and he's quite happy. If I (or he) had bought the same case and paid a premium for a Black Widow I (or I'm sure he) would have been decidely less than impressed, hence my interest in what consitutes a genuine Black Widow.

Soldato
WJA96 just list it as a 201b-SKT or whatever it is, and dont mention black widow.

The ATC-Tek MRO 16 / black version were the black widow and silver widows.

Coolermaster made a direct copy of these original cases, and just added ATCs Coolermaster to the top, and these were still black widows, by there naming on product pages; no blowhole.

When they updated the design with the top blowhole, the name dropped and they started the insane 201b - *** naming style, with an awful lot of models.

It was before my time a bit, but that is how I understand the whole thing. Coolermaster only ever made two widows, exact copies of the MRO's.

sid

sid

Soldato
Just to add to the confusion then

I have all silver brushed alu case without the top blow hole.

It originally came with orange and green leds which i've now changed to the blue ones.

It didnt have a windowed sidepanel. Now you are saying that this is a silver widow? do does that need a windowed sidepanel to be one.

It was infact sold to me as a CM201c - SXK model, without the window,
The other case was a 201b - BXT which is apparently not the black widow lol

Rite....

sid

Soldato
Yours is not no. :confused:

Whats the problem that there are around 20 201's but only two of them have the Widow coining.

If you check the sticky, you will see the most common ATCs cases do not have the ATC-Tek Black Widow name.

It was not even sold to you as a widow, not all the 201's are widows, only the one model and its Coolermaster counterpart ever even held the name.

Black widow = Side window, black mercedes paint and no top blowhole.
Silver widow = Side window, bare aluminium and no top blowhole

Last edited:
Associate
WJA96 said:
So it's NOT a black widow, is it? It's a black widow copy made by another manufacturer who bought the original jigs and pressings. You can't have it both ways. It's either an ATCS-tek case or a Coolermaster. If it's a Coolermaster, it's not a Black Widow. Is that correct?

I am genuinely interested as lots of cases are advertised for very big money as 'Black Widow' and from the looks of it, lots of them aren't actually the real deal. Also - I would hate to sell a black Coolermaster case to someone as a Black Widow and then find out I'd mis-described it.

Can you see why I'm interested in clarifying this? The OP didn't buy a Black Widow, he bought a black Coolermaster case and he's quite happy. If I (or he) had bought the same case and paid a premium for a Black Widow I (or I'm sure he) would have been decidely less than impressed, hence my interest in what consitutes a genuine Black Widow.

An ATCS-tek black widow would still have coolermaster branding on it - infact you would be very lucky to find an ATCS-tek case without any branding as ATCS-tek were OEM suppliers (Compaq used the MRO-18 aka wavemaster)
I'm not 100% sure if cooler master themselves ever referred to the 201b-BTX as a black widow. Although plenty of reviewers did.

If you have a black mercedes painted cooler master branded case without a top blow hole then you have a Black Widow, however the box for this will more than likely have the code of 201b-BTX

If you have a black mercedes painted cooler master branded case with a top blow hole then you have a 201b-BTX and that is what you should describe it as.

Back
Top Bottom