olympus - phpbb 3.0 beta

Associate
Just installed it -- on first impressions, it all looks very nice. The admin interface has been improved beyond recognition, and there are a heck of a lot more features to get used to.

Will have a play around now to see what it can do!

Soldato
OP
dammit, i get this error in the final stage of installation. :mad:

A fatal and unrecoverable database error has occured. This may be because the specified user does not have appropriate rights to CREATE TABLES or INSERT data, etc. Further information may be given below. Please contact your hosting provider in the first instance or the support forums of phpBB for further assistance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The theme's supposedly getting replaced with a new (secret) one later on too.

Been playing with it since long before the beta. It's good, but it's been on the go for a loooooong time. If you don't want to be using out of date code, you might want to try a CVS checkout.

Usual rules apply either way though, don't use it on a production site, and don't expect to be able to convert your data to work on either the next beta, a RC, or the release version. :)

Associate
robmiller said:
Is it utter dross like phpBB 2.x or did they get their arses into gear for this one?
Certainly feature wise they've pulled out most of the stops. It's got a *lot* of admin/mod stuff that was sorely missing. Looks quite similar in style to 2.x but as stated above, apparently it'll be replaced for the final version.

I've only ever used phpBB and vBulletin, and it feels like something of a hybrid between the two. All in all, apart from one or two bugs, looking good so far.

Caporegime
There's a "module management" option within the ACP, though I don't see anything for uploading modules, and the currently listed modules are the ACP, UCP and Mod CP.

Olympus Feature List said:
# Modular system allows for easy extensions

I'd expect a version of EasyMod to emerge at/after release, at the very least.

Associate
tolien said:
There's a "module management" option within the ACP, though I don't see anything for uploading modules, and the currently listed modules are the ACP, UCP and Mod CP.
Looks like you can add things into these, but like you say doesn't look like you can have other modules at the moment. It does mean you can add functionality to the admin, user and mod control panels fairly easily (and do this without changing existing code I think).

It also seems though if you want to mod the forum, it has to be done in the traditional 'hack the code' way (albeit with a newish MODX description format). Forum posts indicate that EasyMOD is being updated to use this format, and should be ready before the release of phpBB3. I've never been a fan of the phpBB way of doing mods, because it's so easy to get something wrong when upgrading phpBB, and it's also hard to keep mods up-to-date. I doubt this is going to change much unfortunately. :(

Seems from reading their posts on the phpBB forum, it's not something the developers are particularly interested in tackling.

Soldato
Ugh, I hate that. It just means that people are reluctant to keep their installs up-to-date, which is a really bad thing given the problems they've had with security in the past. Looks like I'm sticking with punBB :(

Associate
tolien said:
Given the time it's taken for Olympus to get where it has, I doubt the developers want to tackle very much right now. :(
It's a shame because I'm sure there must be an elegant way of dealing with modifications. Hopefully given the number of features in Olympus, *hopefully* there won't be much need for major modifications. :)

Back
Top Bottom