Are they all widescreen now?

It seems that pretty much every TFT at 20" or over are in widescreen format. One exception on the OcUK site is the Dell 2007FP 20.1" which views at the normal 1600 x 1200 res.

Is there any idea why monitors are going 16:9 and are the game developers adapting to this? I only have vision in 1 eye, so my focusing is better in 4:3 than 16:9.

I don't mind playing widescreen-format DVDs on a 4:3 because I can show the subtitles on the black bit below the viewing area (I always use subtitles).

Soldato
^ He has vision problems restricting his horizontal FoV :rolleyes:

To the OP,

Sadly, most of the 20"+ screens are 16:10 now. NEC do a 21.3" 4:3 TFT which retails around the £550 mark.

You can get 23" & 24" 4:3 TFT screens, but these are aimed more at the pro artist and are priced accordingly.

Most new games now support WS out of the box. I assume WS is getting more popular as it is more of a natural view to the human eye than 4:3, and the panels have now become cheap enough to supply at the consumer level.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the answers guys :)

I mainly play World of Warcraft and I think that it became widescreen-ready in the latest game patch. If you know the game, you'll find that the toolbars and buttons are along the bottom edge of the screen. What I might do in this case is to utilise CT-MOD / CT-RAID so that the buttons can be moved to the sides of the screen so that the viewing area in the middle becomes more square.

God bless my old 2004 Viewsonic 19" with pivot from OcUK!

Back
Top Bottom