BSOD while updating BIOS - am i done for?

Associate
Don't think i'm gonna like the answer to this question but here goes!! Thought i'd update the BIOS on my ASUS a8n sli premium last night, so ran the autoupdate program in Windows. It got about halfway through updating it and then I got the dreaded blue screen of death!! It rebooted and now all I get is the power light coming on, can hear everything powering up ok, but no post errors and nothing on screen. Is there some way to rescue my motherboard or am i beyond help?

cheers

jon

Associate
It has a crash free bios thing, I'm not sure if it works (I dont even have the board). Read the manual, section 4.1.4 page 4-5. It seems to say something along the lines of that a bios can be put into a CD and it will automatically try to flash it.

Soldato
jonorigin said:
Don't think i'm gonna like the answer to this question but here goes!! Thought i'd update the BIOS on my ASUS a8n sli premium last night, so ran the autoupdate program in Windows. It got about halfway through updating it and then I got the dreaded blue screen of death!! It rebooted and now all I get is the power light coming on, can hear everything powering up ok, but no post errors and nothing on screen. Is there some way to rescue my motherboard or am i beyond help?

cheers

jon
I'll never ever use AsusUpdate or any other Windows based BIOS update software after I messed up mine. Had to use these guys to recover, i.e. purchase a new chip flashed with current BIOS. Now have 2 BIOS chips (old/faulty* & the new one) & use Afudos BIOS update tool in DOS instead :)

*apprently they are not faulty, just 'corrupted'. Hot Flashed my old/faulty one. Guide here (scroll down to BIOS Recovery) :)

Associate
OP
Brilliant stuff, thanks guys!! Looks like all is not lost just yet!! That crashfree thing didn't work though, damn you asus, damn you all to heeellll!!

Associate
OP
hp7909 said:
I'll never ever use AsusUpdate or any other Windows based BIOS update software after I messed up mine. Had to use these guys to recover, i.e. purchase a new chip flashed with current BIOS. Now have 2 BIOS chips (old/faulty* & the new one) & use Afudos BIOS update tool in DOS instead :)

*apprently they are not faulty, just 'corrupted'. Hot Flashed my old/faulty one. Guide here (scroll down to BIOS Recovery) :)

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the help, got a replacement chip from these guys and it works a treat, you've saved my bacon!!

Soldato
jonorigin said:
Just wanted to say thanks very much for the help, got a replacement chip from these guys and it works a treat, you've saved my bacon!!
All in a days work ;)

Don't forget that you can send them the faulty chip to reflash it for you, that way you have 2 just in case. There's also 'Hot Flashing', but its up to you & how comforatble you are doing it :cool:

Back
Top Bottom