Audiophilic MP3 player?

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
I recently got some shure E4Cs to pair with my 4th gen iPod and I'm really not too happy with the output from the ipod.
I've tried my music at lossless and 320k mp3s but the quality just doesn't seem up to much.
Since my iPod's almost full anyway I'm considering a new MP3 player. I am curious as to what the best out there is in terms of sound quality?
Is the 5g/video iPod any better?
I don't know of any review sites that rate stuff by the audio quality solely. Any help there?

Cheers,
Ash

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's not the headphones as they sound good through my X-fi :)

Edit: Is there anything like a mp3 player with a 64bit crystaliser? cause' that would be amazing...

Last edited:
Suspended
5bjoshua said:
Its just the Bitrate, an mp3 or cut down version of an original is never gonna sound as good as a CD.

Sounds like he's disspointed of the ipod's sound quality, as high bitrate still sounds bad. I would look at iriver's, have superior sound quality to ipods. Don't think much of the newer irivers though, the H340 is probably the better models from the existing range.

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
OP
5bjoshua said:
Its just the Bitrate, an mp3 or cut down version of an original is never gonna sound as good as a CD.

Apple lossless there shouldn'e be much difference.
We're talking massive bitrates, not 128k.
They sound great coming through my headphones via my computer.
So I'd say it's the iPod hardware.

Thanks for the advice squiffy I'll go have a look.

Ash

Caporegime
It's not just that, it's the indecision they have with it. One day they will just decide to scrap it and release a new range of players using Connect software, only to change back to SonicStage a week later. Of course, players aren't compatible with both.

Say what you like about iTunes, but it works with all iPods from 1st gen to 5th.

Soldato
sony = pretty average
iriver = better than any ipod, but a lack of real bottom end grunt
iaudio = if you want sound quality, its right up there with the best.

Of course those are some generalisations, but even the h320/340 iriver still lack something at the bottom end for example. So yes. if you want SQ, get an iaudio IMO. as for this crsytaliser talk - get out. you shouldnt be needing to compress music and use heavy eq's if you have a decent dap and earphones.

Soldato
you might want to consider getting a headphone amp and connecting it to the ipod using something like a sik ram din (http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php)

i don't use a headphone amp myself, but i think i might get one if i upgrade my headphones from shure e3c to the shure e500

check out www.head-fi.org for more information about headphone amps etc.

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
OP
james.miller said:
sony = pretty average
iriver = better than any ipod, but a lack of real bottom end grunt
iaudio = if you want sound quality, its right up there with the best.

Of course those are some generalisations, but even the h320/340 iriver still lack something at the bottom end for example. So yes. if you want SQ, get an iaudio IMO. as for this crsytaliser talk - get out. you shouldnt be needing to compress music and use heavy eq's if you have a decent dap and earphones.

I'll look at the iAudio stuff. Thanks.
The crystaliser just adds more punch to poor quality tracks. It's not like a eq is it?
I thought it was some crazy thing that sampled that audio and added more punch to it?
No idea really :p

*Goes to look up iAudio*

Soldato
bascially, yeah it's like an e.q and a compressor rolled into one. it ruins dynamics and it only sounds better to people with cheap speakers. or tone deaf. or both lol.

anyway look at the iaudio x3's or x5's:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom