Hollow/Plaster walls, how do you mount Speakers on them?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I've almost given up on this but...

Is it possible to mount speakers on hollow walls? The walls are plaster in my room, and seem very weak, its annoying but I've heard its still possible to put mounts on?

Good idea or not? And if so, does anyone know what I need to get?

The speakers are about 7KG each (heavy I know).

I've got them on these rubbish stands at the moment that take up too much room, and look awful.

Man of Honour
yes but you need mounts with quite a few fixing point on, more the better. Then go to B&Q and get some hollow wall fixing plugs.

Clicky

The plastic ones are actually better. The legs open up wider, thus spreading the load more..

You need to find out the thickness of your plasterboard before buying them.

Also I wouldn't go with the screws, they are designed for very light weight use. As they only grip like 1/2mm of plaster board..

Permabanned
You could put battening between the studding and screw into that.
I did the same in the kitchen to take the kitchen cabinets:

Remove the plaster board, screw in some 4x2, nail on some new plasterboard and then screw into the 4x2.

Alternatively you could put the battening on the outside of the plaster board....... be fugly though.

Permabanned
SeanyK said:
Hi folks,

I've almost given up on this but...

Is it possible to mount speakers on hollow walls? The walls are plaster in my room, and seem very weak, its annoying but I've heard its still possible to put mounts on?

Good idea or not? And if so, does anyone know what I need to get?

The speakers are about 7KG each (heavy I know).

I've got them on these rubbish stands at the moment that take up too much room, and look awful.

You can buy anchored bolts that 'expand' at the back to 'grip' the plasterboard.

Associate
another thing to be careful of is whether the plasterboard is fixed to the wall using just a dot n dab method or is fixed to a wood uprights.

we have a 42" plasma and a 27" LCD mounted to a plasterboard wall (not the same wall though :D :rolleyes: ) using mounting similar to these types:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12229&ts=60071

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11923&ts=60071

plasma has ben up for just over 2yrs, lcd about 6 mths or so.

just make sure to get the right tool for the wall type you are mounting too. Our speakers are mounted using the 2nd link fixings, and again have been up for 2 or more years without problems

regards
Gary

Soldato
OP
Hi folks, many thanks for all your replies, its ULTRA helpful.

Im paranoid though, that it would just rip half the wall off and fall down?

Is it a builder who i'd need to maybe ask them to come round and see if they could do it? Or a plasterer?

Permabanned
jdickerson said:
Yeah, this should distribute the weight....

LOL. It was just a bit of humour, although if the back of the speaker was flush to the wall it would distribute the weight rather well.
I gave my opinion as to how I would (and have) done things at home which is infinitely stronger and more permanent than any rawlplug expanding or otherwise.
I could also have been referring to gluing battening to the plaster.

No Nails penetrates the plaster and you'd be amazed at just how strong it is when it has gone off. I would lay good sums of money on me being able to "no nails" his speakers to the wall permanently - not something I would do on my own walls mind.

Meridian said:
Even if you could, it strikes me as a silly idea: the reverberations from the plasterboard will ruin the sound.

M

This is true, they would probably sound pretty awful.

Last edited:
Soldato
VIRII said:
LOL. It was just a bit of humour, although if the back of the speaker was flush to the wall it would distribute the weight rather well.
I gave my opinion as to how I would (and have) done things at home which is infinitely stronger and more permanent than any rawlplug expanding or otherwise.
I could also have been referring to gluing battening to the plaster.

No Nails penetrates the plaster and you'd be amazed at just how strong it is when it has gone off. I would lay good sums of money on me being able to "no nails" his speakers to the wall permanently - not something I would do on my own walls mind.

or anywhere you rented.

Back
Top Bottom