Probably an easy network question but...

Soldato
I have a 2 pc network at home connected via network crossover cable.Pc A connects directly to the internet via cable modem and Pc B connects to the internet through Pc A.Now if I have to reboot Pc A for any reason Pc B won't be abke to connect after the reboot and will have to be rebooted itself.

I'm guessing a router would fix this problem but I'm wondering if I can fix this without spending anything.Cheers all :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far guys..

noxidjkram@hotm said:
Does PC B lose all connectivity to PC A (can you ping PC A once it has rebooted?)?? Or is just the internet connection lost?

M

Pc B does lose all connectivity,can't access shared folders from either Pc.I'll try repairing and see if that helps.

Associate
ExRayTed said:
Thanks for the replies so far guys..

Pc B does lose all connectivity,can't access shared folders from either Pc.I'll try repairing and see if that helps.

See if you can ping the other PC - might help narrow down the problem.

Accessing shared folders and the internet are higher up the stack - need to test layer 3 first, and then work downover if that doesnt work.

M

Soldato
OP
Fantastic,repairing it from within network properties does the trick :D Knew it had to be something simple.It fixes internet and shared folders.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Soldato
ExRayTed said:
Fantastic,repairing it from within network properties does the trick :D Knew it had to be something simple.It fixes internet and shared folders.

Thanks for the help guys :D
An even easier way is to goto run and type "ipconfig -renew" :).

Soldato
OP
KingAdora said:
Amazing the lengths people will go to just to save a few pounds!

It isn't the money really :) In your opinion is a router worth the cost and setup? My two PCs are 2 feet from each other.What would be the benefits other than not having to have the host PC on to access internet on the other one?

Soldato
ExRayTed said:
It isn't the money really :) In your opinion is a router worth the cost and setup? My two PCs are 2 feet from each other.What would be the benefits other than not having to have the host PC on to access internet on the other one?

More security is a nice added bonus.

Back
Top Bottom