Anybody here use Maya 7

Soldato
Hey all. I'm having a bit of a problem at work using Maya 7.0.1. Basically, whenever objects/scenes are viewed in "high resolution" for the high quality rendering they dissapear from the screen. I've done all the normal stuff i.e. set the preferences back to default, stripped all the history out of the file but nothing seems to help it. It does not seem to be a hardware issue because the same file fails on different machines. The machines used are high specced beasts with high quality GFX cards and 4gb RAM, so its not lack of grunt.

I've been doing some searching over the last couple of days and people in other forums seem to have similar problems but nobody has found a solution to it yet.

So I was kinda hoping you OCUK gurus might know of a solution :p

Associate
MarkyMark said:
Thanks very much :) Will check them out.

You could download the trial of X64 and try to render in that. Maya 7 is giving me a bit of trouble when there are too many polys in a scene. So I switched from XP to X64 just for Maya and it's solved the memory problems I was having.

I wouldn't recommend it as a main OS though.

Soldato
I've not used Maya, but i have seen this problem on 3D Studio Max. what we had to do in the end was recreate the whole file (using 3DSM 4.2) i think it worked fine on version 5 or 6 when we tryed rendering it.

So i would suggest trying Maya 6.0 and see if that helps or you could ask Maya support direct?

Soldato
OP
Emo_hug said:
I've not used Maya, but i have seen this problem on 3D Studio Max. what we had to do in the end was recreate the whole file (using 3DSM 4.2) i think it worked fine on version 5 or 6 when we tryed rendering it.

So i would suggest trying Maya 6.0 and see if that helps or you could ask Maya support direct?

yeah but unfortunately this high quality resolutions rendering thing was added in Maya 7. So 6 or even 6.5 don't have it :(

Soldato
Maniac618 said:
I use max 8, but everyone who's anyone in the know tells me maya is better.

Tell that to the thousands of companies who use it. They both have theyre pros and cons, but generally max has more features. Ultimately, the best application is the one that you are the most happy and fluent in, as its not the application that matters, its the results of what you can create.

Back
Top Bottom