Whats the point in pci-e

Associate
For a while now pci-e slots have been on the newer boards but who uses them? I havent seen one product apart from a couple in reviews that dont use standard pci slots rather than the newer pci-e slots. Are there ever going to be any use for the pci-4 and pci-8 slots on boards?

Associate
Physics cards will most likely use up pci-e x4 and we'll probably see sound cards along with tv cards in x1.

Soldato
Kde7 said:
Physics cards will most likely use up pci-e x4 and we'll probably see sound cards along with tv cards in x1.

Or a second GPU to handle the physics - if that comes to anything.

At the moment I have only seen maximum of three PCI-E slots in any one mobo, two full speed (16x) and 1 mini (1x) slots

Creative were saying initally there were problems moving sound cards over to the PCI-E and it wasnt reallly worth it, but I guess with fewer and fewer PCI slots appearing, and with the likes of physics cards / hd controllers and potentially usb 2 / firewire etc getting in on the act hopefully PCI will slowly die away

Saying that with CPU's getting more and more powerful and HD audio onboard on the newer mobo's ( and likely to filter down to cheaper boards relatively quickly ) maybe external / add in sound cards are a thing of the past for consumers and only professionals will require them.........who knows

Back
Top Bottom