Cheap digital camera that can save images uncompressed.

Caporegime
Need a digital camera for holiday photos and other miscellaneous stuff, the one we have at the moment can have some awful jpeg artifacts so im looking for one that can save images as something uncompressed like bmp. Must be at least 3Mp and have a cf slot.

Last edited:
Soldato
uncompressed images?
you need to find one that saves to TIFF then, not BMP
or a nice little camera that does RAW :)
the fuji's and panasonics sometimes do tiff however, comparing the tiff and low compression jpgs on my old panasonic I found very little difference
odds on that you have a fuji maybe already

Associate
Panasonic Lumix (the FZ7 and FZ30 i think) cameras can save to RAW format which is completely uncompressed. You will need some software to view the images though (unless you use a Mac).

Soldato
If you're looking for a camera that's 'at least 3mp' I'm presuming that the one it'll be replacing is around the same - in which case it's more likely the low mp you're noticing rather than pixilation due to it being a jpg.

fini

Caporegime
OP
fini said:
If you're looking for a camera that's 'at least 3mp' I'm presuming that the one it'll be replacing is around the same - in which case it's more likely the low mp you're noticing rather than pixilation due to it being a jpg.

fini

Its definatley the compression because it only shows up on certain surfaces, and Im not even looking at the image on a big monitor.

Associate
I think you're going off on the wrong route. Rather than get a RAW/TIFF producing camera, you need to find one that stores high resolution JPEGs - i.e. the compression isn't so harsh.

Look for one that stores fine/large JPEG images - that should be absolutely fine for your needs.

Caporegime
OP
Your probably right. Another thing I need is a good optical zoom, the one I've got at the moment only has 4x but I've seen some camcorders with 33x. I don't want a big camera though. A 16:9 ratio or wider would be nice to. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom