DELETED_5350

Soldato
You can do it on the DG834.

Enter this from a browser - obviously replacing the IP with whatever yours is set to:

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

Then open up a command prompt and do a telnet 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is, of course).

Finally, issue the command:

adslctl info --stats

You'll have figures under either the Interleave or Fast path stats.

Soldato
smoove said:
What exactly does that mean? are any of the settings above wrong?

Your settings are fine. Basically you're going to have to ask Nildram to get BT to switch Interleaving off for you. Unfortunately they charge for this.

Interleaving is automatically enabled if the kit at the exchange thinks your line is having problems or it detects a load of errors. With Interleaving disabled you should lose a little bit of sync speed but if you play games the lower ping is more important.

I'm in a similar boat at the moment. I've got ADSL as NTL were messing me around (and now I have two connections) but Interleaving got enabled on my line due to me not having the RJ11 plug in properly. This caused loads of resyncs so Interleaving was automatically enabled. I emailed Nildram earlier but they haven't got back to me yet.

I was pinging BBC at 10ms before Interleaving was enabled. Now it's 35ms.

Soldato
Generally Interleaving adds 20 to 30ms. I'm not sure how much it costs - still waiting to hear back but it can't be more than a couple of quid in theory.

Associate
tolien said:
How much latency interleaving adds can vary.
Little interleaving query for you please ;)

Am I right in thinking that interleaving gives the error correction algorithms time to work as, with it turned off, many more packets containing FEC errors are dropped as not enough time is available to correct the errors?

I asked my ISP to enable interleaving as I get loads more FEC errors than either HEC or CRC errors so I assume it increases my data throughput :confused:

Caporegime
CurlyWhirly said:
Am I right in thinking that interleaving gives the error correction algorithms time to work as, with it turned off, many more packets containing FEC errors are dropped as not enough time is available to correct the errors?

No, you're not right. It's transmission latency, not processing latency.

Back
Top Bottom