Plusnet have lost 800GB of customer emails

Soldato
Data Restoration
-----------------

The live storage platform itself is made up of two halves. When one side of a storage system fails it is normal for the other half to take over and ensure there is no data loss. However, a deliberate change on one system will always be copied immediately to the other half of the storage and in this case the engineer managed to lose the information from both halves of the storage system.

The nature of storing data on any hard disk is that if you remove information, it never gets entirely removed. As such, the first step the engineer took after identifying his error was to freeze the disk replication to prevent any further damage. This ultimately means that all the data should be recoverable, and the process of restoring this is underway now. We have engaged the help of data recovery professionals in this and the frozen half of our storage platform was shipped to them yesterday. They have advised that there is a 99% chance of complete data recovery, and provided this goes to plan we can begin to copy older mail back to customers’ mailboxes from tomorrow.

Could be worse I guess, but what a mistake :eek:

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
That could contain important information??!?!
i dont use the ISP's email really as if i were to change ISP then i'd be screwed for people wanting to get in contact with me, so i use hotmail/gmail most of hte time, however i dont use email for business at all.

Back
Top Bottom