northbridge temp relative to cpu temp?

Associate
i have a Akasa fan master with a temp sensor taped onto the northbridge of my m/b. The temp that this reads of is almost exact to the temp given on "core temp" (from here http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137 ).

My question is this... is the northbridge temp closely related to the cpu temperature? If i turn the cpu fan down the northbridge temp goes up and vice versa. Is this just because the fan on the cpu (a Tt Silent Boost) blows an air onto the chipset depending on the speed of the fan altering the temperatures? If that makes any sense... :p

Soldato
The northbridge temp would go down if you increase the cpu fan speed and the cpu fan is blowing on it, but i can't see why it would do this the other way around unless its a pretty big northbridge cooler.
The link doesn't seem to work.

Northbridge temp will also increase as cpu temp and load increases i would imagine. Will depend on whats in it, memory controller or pci-e lanes. I've found that a chipset on an amd platform which contained the pci express controller heated up a lot when gaming, so i imagine a northbridge with the memory controller in it would heat up if there was a lot of memory activity.

Associate
OP
hmm yeah maybe. I just thought it was wierd how the two temps are so closely related... Maybe its because the heatsink is very near the cpu fan...

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Yeah, that plus the fact that when one is under load, its usually putting the other under load.
Yeah, if ypu push your cpu hard then it will also put a strain on the northbridge, once the cpu starts relaxing more so will the northbridge.

Soldato
I dont mean to sound uncharitable or whatever, but folding is somehow helping some technical folk help understand some illness right? I dont understand why soo many people do it! I give money to charity, sponsor people etc but why do people buy computers just to fold? I suppose you get some kind of recognition/status/prize the more your team folds?

I'm not questionning anyways motive and I think its great soo many do it, just wondering why.

Man of Honour
Two fold really (pun intended!).

1. As stated it will help find cures for many diseases (namely cancer). The more pc's that do it the better as there are simply too many permatations for a single pc to perform. The more info that is processed the closer the human race is to finding a cure and preventing so many deaths.

2. To a lesser moral stance, its probably the best stability test a pc can get and each team will have its own leaderboard aswell as a worldwide leaderboard so, yeah, you do get some recognition.

Buying a pc simply to fold though is not what its all about, its about folding while you arn't doing anything or are afk for a short while.

Back
Top Bottom