AdiumX or aMSN?

Associate
Assuming that I only use MSN (and Skype, but lets not complicate things) as a messaging tool on Windows, which OS X based clone should I use?

I've recently installed AdiumX, and am having some problems with it? It doesn't seem to be importing all my Contacts that I have in MSN. (Out of 25 contacts on my Windows one, only 5 were imported in when I created by MSN account).
My wife is having the same issue as well.
Looking at AdiumX, its still only a Beta at the moment.

Is aMSN more reliable?

I suppose, in an emergency, I could always use MSN in a Windows session (via Parallels, which I was planning on installing anyway).

Cheers,

Soldato
You sure Adium is dodgy? It only shows people who are online (unless you choose otherwise).

-edit-

You could always use Microsoft Messenger for OS X. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
punky_munky said:
You sure Adium is dodgy? It only shows people who are online (unless you choose otherwise).

-edit-

You could always use Microsoft Messenger for OS X. :)

I'll double check it... because I'm sure it was showing 2 entries as Online, and 3 as offline.
Anyway, I'll double check... and as you say, if need be, we'll use MS Messenger itself.

Soldato
I've had no problems with Adium. I've played around with it a bit, and adjusted it to how i like, and it's probably the best client i've used in a long time :) The jumping dock icon, and speaking out names of people sending me messages is cool :D

Soldato
A friend of mine has had contact 'issues' with Adium too.. contacts disappeared completely.. even from other clients :eek: No idea what caused it.

If you just want a straight messenger clone then i'd stick to aMSN as it supports the vast majority of messenger's party tricks. It's not the best written or best looking app ever, but it's the closest you are going to get to being able to pretend you're still using Live Messenger :p

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i personally use Adium, and i love it. i did have some problems importing my contacts, but i just used Microsoft MSN for OSX for that, then went back to adium. i'm quite shallow really, because i dont need any of the extra functionality (and i barely use the messaging part of it!) so i just like that i can make it look pretty :D

Soldato
I use adium for months and have had no problems with it!

There always is MSN for OS X from HERE That can satisfy your needs for an official Microsoft variant, it's a bit behind the current Windows equivilent though.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom