30D or 350D ?

Caporegime
Going to get a either 30D or 350D before my friend's wedding in late august, so i need to decide which one...The price diffrence i can find you can generally get a 30D with a kit lens for £850, and the 350D for £475. We are talking about £375 difference.

Now i usually get something a little bit more than i can afford for the sake of i am going to upgrade it in the future otherwise, future being next week if i outgrown it too fast. Now i only use my Canon S70 at the moment as i just can't be arsed to develope films by my Canon EOS 30. So feature wise i need it to be the same-ish as the EOS 30, otherwise it'll be a downgrade really. I already have all the Canon Bits so the kit lens don't bother me, you gotta love the EOS system :D.

So, what is closer? 30D or 350D ?

p.s. can either do 2nd curtain sync? and mulitple exposure?

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
Going to get a either 30D or 350D before my friend's wedding in late august, so i need to decide which one...The price diffrence i can find you can generally get a 30D with a kit lens for £850, and the 350D for £475. We are talking about £375 difference.

Now i usually get something a little bit more than i can afford for the sake of i am going to upgrade it in the future otherwise, future being next week if i outgrown it too fast. Now i only use my Canon S70 at the moment as i just can't be arsed to develope films by my Canon EOS 30. So feature wise i need it to be the same-ish as the EOS 30, otherwise it'll be a downgrade really. I already have all the Canon Bits so the kit lens don't bother me, you gotta love the EOS system :D.

So, what is closer? 30D or 350D ?

p.s. can either do 2nd curtain sync? and mulitple exposure?

the 10D/20D/30D is pretty much a digital EOS-30, a friend of mine had an eos-30, bought a 300D but had to send the 300D back and buy a 10 due to it not being as good as his film to use :)

The 30D can do 2nd curtain sync, but not multiple exposures. That's no problem tho as it's EXTREMELY easy to merge photos in photoshop (30D comes with elements IIRC)

Might come across as a bit of a jumble but im just off to bed, been up all night :o

Tom.

Soldato
If you're getting the 30D without the kit lens, you can get it much cheaper than £850 Raymond. Personally, if you can afford it I'd go with the 30D. It's a gorgeous camera and I'm so glad I updated my 300D :D

Associate
If you can afford it, get the 30D.

Its got:

Spot Metering
Longer battery life
Clearer & Brighter viewfinder
2.5" LCD (350D is 1.8")
Up to 5 Frames per second(350D is 2.9)
Has a magnesium alloy body
Better ISO performance
Upto 1/8000 of a sec. shutter speed (350D only gets to 1/4000)
9 Point focus system (350D has 7)

The 350D is a good camera, but undoubtedly the 30D is better, and the price these days I would opt for a 30D - this coming from someone whos very satisfied with thier 350D I might add :)

Soldato
Lostkat said:
If you're getting the 30D without the kit lens, you can get it much cheaper than £850 Raymond. Personally, if you can afford it I'd go with the 30D. It's a gorgeous camera and I'm so glad I updated my 300D :D

300D deserter ehh ;)

How much did you pay for the 30D - i feel an upgrade is due.

Defi go for the 30D - just hold the 350D and that should put you off let alone the feature differences.

Associate
I'd avaoid the 350D (I tried it when I picked up a Nikon D50 for my GF) I found the body is way too small and it didn't "feel" right.

(I know i said I got a 5D for my GF in the GD thread, but I've now kept that myself :D )

Best bet is head to a camera shop and try a few out.

Soldato
Oblivious said:
Thats where the £120 battery grip comes in :(
And even then it still feels small and dinky ;)

I'd definately get a 2nd hand 20D or a 30D, i upgraded to the 20D with battery grip from my 350d and i can't believe how awfull the 350D feels now :eek:

Associate
It has dynamic noise subtraction.

Take your shot - if it decides (auto is optional) there is too much noise it takes another blank and subtracts the difference. (the second lasts as long as the first)

Regards

Al

Soldato
30D!! The shutter life is more than worth it!!!

I should have spent the extra £150 on a 20D instead of my 350D so now when it fails 2 days after the 1 year warranty with 13/15k shots on the clock I have to pay £150 for another 12/15k hots instead of the 50k+ that I would have got originally :(

Awsome cam tho, love it as first D-SLR

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
300D deserter ehh ;)

How much did you pay for the 30D - i feel an upgrade is due.

Defi go for the 30D - just hold the 350D and that should put you off let alone the feature differences.
Yes indeedy :D I really am glad I made the switch though. It's an incredible camera. Everything that annoyed me about the 300D has been ironed out.

Cost £759.97 body only from a highstreet store :)

Raymond Lin said:
How do they handle bulb mode? will you get a lot of noise taking star trails with ISO 50 and open the lens for hours?
The 30D goes to ISO 100, not ISO 50.
Bulb mode is handled by the purchase of a remote switch, which you can put on hold to keep the shutter open.
Mirror up is in the custom functions menu.
Go in and try one out Raymond. You'll love it, I guarantee

:)

Soldato
Hmm, I'm finding it really hard myself. I'm thinking 350D or 30D, and like some have said you'll be wanting for more if you get a 350D, especially if you've played with it's big brother. It's just the issue of £££'s to consider really. If that doesn't bother you, then the 30D is the horse I'd bet on.

Back
Top Bottom