firefox closes, but it is still running...

Associate
when i exit firefox it closes down ok, but the firefox.exe process in the background is still running. sometimes firefox wont re-launch untill i manually end the previous process. only seems to be happening since i updated to the latest version... anyone else seen this?

Soldato
Memphis said:
Happens to me very occasionally when a dodgy plugin or codec manages to crash. Certainly not every time though.
As said Memphis, whenever FF crashes sometimes the process is still running. However, for me at least, FF crashes very rarely. And when it does it is also quite infrequent for the process to still be running.

Are you using some beta extensions? Apart from that and using a beta version of FF I can't really think of why this would be happening to you on a frequent occasion.

Bad luck and sorry I can't think of anything more.

Associate
OP
it didnt happen when i used 1.5.0.2 - only seems to happen since i updated to 1.5.0.4 and it happens every time i close the app. it's not as if the app is crashing because it appears to close cleanly. i've just tried uninstalling 1.5.0.4 and re-installing 1.5.0.2 but that seems to be doing the same thing.

the *only* other thing that i can think ive changed recently is that i have installed vmware server. i really cant remember if that before or after i started to have the problem though.

edit: is there a way to close all instances of a processes at the command line? the only reason i ask is that i like to run a cleanup tool on shutdown which wont run if firefox is still running in the backgroud. would be great if i could just write a batch file to close all open instances of firefox.exe in one go and then get it to launch the cleanup tool after that...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tracked down why this is happening. for some reason its to do with the clear private data feature. turned this off completely and its now closing down perfectly. so, instead of using the feature i have told it to keep no records of anything and then ill use my alternative cleaning tool instead. be interesting to see if anyone else has similar problems when using that feature.

Associate
Could it be that the previous version used a different version of the private data feature and is some how not 100% compatible any more? Delete the previous data (through program files menu) and try enabling it again and see if it works. If it doesn't, uninstall firefox and reinstall and it should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom