Overpaid

Soldato
Overpaid £500 by employer, employer has budget of £30 billion per annum, but to me it is still a lot of money, would feel guilty keeping it.

Do I give it back or wait for them to ask for it back?

EDIT > Thanks for the majority of honest people confirming what I had thought was best, told them about their error, feel better now. Would have been living in guilt otherwise. The warm fuzzy feeling was worth £540 to me, would only have spent it on a couple of meals anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
mate, when they find out they overpaid you, your going to have to work hours for them for freeee! take it and hope they dont notice

they probly will and probly know

Caporegime
They will either ask for it back, or, invariably, take the difference off your next paycheck - Either way, there's no sense in trying to fleece a £30bn company - They've seen it all before.

Have a chat with payroll.

Permabanned
laissez-faire said:
Overpaid £500 by employer, employer has budget of £30 billion per annum, but to me it is still a lot of money, would feel guilty keeping it.

Do I give it back or wait for them to ask for it back?

Could be a test for a promotion ;)

Soldato
OP
I certainly wouldn't spend it... but suppose in 5 months time they do ask for it back, would that be the end of the issue? Isn't it my responsibilty to ensure I get paid the right amount?

I can just imagine them saying 'so you didn't notice eh?... I wonder if you would have noticed if we underpaid you'

Soldato
I myself would bring it up to the HRM or Finance dept. that deals with the wages, it may be a mistake but if they check at the end of the year and see the discrepancy, they can ask for it back.

Might as well sort it now! might even be a bonus your not aware of earning! haha! :D

Rich

Associate
Are you a thief? Can't believe you even need to ask. Try being one of the few people who can take responsibility for their own actions, and be honest, give them the money back. Its not yours, you have no right to it.

Associate
Be honest and tell them, things like this have the potential to bite you in the backside later on.

Telling them shows you're honest (to a certain extent) and certainly won't harm you should you be in line for a promotion at a later date

Back
Top Bottom