New Game Recomendations

Permabanned
Hi all,

Looking to see if the OCUK gaming community can get me off on a new game that will keep my interest.

I have been a long time player of Battlefield 1942 and loved it, loved the game play, but I am also a big WW2 buff so loved the weapons and vehicles etc.

I have played BF2 since it came out too, but it never really captured my interest like BF42 did, mainly due to the ww2 aspect of it I think.

I also recently bought Titan Quest, which is a good game, but nnot good enough to make me think OMG!! I must go play it now now now, which is what I was like with bf42.

So am looking for something that will re-kindle my gaming senses, possibly an mmorpg or something multiplayer that has a ww2 feel to it.

Soldato
Day of defeat source is quite good but no vehicles if thats what your after, theres so many WW2 type fps games that i just don't bother looking anymore because when you've played one you've played them all.

Associate
Red Orchestra: Ostfront : http://www.redorchestragame.com/

It's a very good realism WW2 shooter based on the eastern front and features realistic weapons balistics. Bullets have velocity depending on weapon so you have to lead targets and allow for bullet drop and "free aim" meaning where the gun is pointing is where the bullet will end up, unlike the random cone of fire you get with other shooters. The gun moves around as you look so you cant just shoot in the middle of the screen when hip shooting. Obviously you need to use iron sites unless in close range, where its best to judge where the gun is pointing and shoot from the hip. Also features realistic weapons and tanks. The focus is on realism so it's quite a lot more slow paced than COD and DOD but IMO far better than them because its more skill/tactics based than running around jumping and spraying at people. Have a look on the forums and maybe download the manual off the site and see if it's the sort of game you like. Beware though its not for everyone as a lot of people find it too hard and prefer the more arcadey style of gameplay. Some reviews here: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5424
This is a pretty decent review: http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/red_orchestra/default.asp

Its a Steam game so you can pay and download it or just buy it in a shop. You still need Steam though to run it.

Edit: Some advice for when you first start: There are class limits on all weapons EXCEPT for the bolt action rifle and you'll find yourself using this a lot of the time, but don't think of it as the weakest gun because its unlimited. In fact I advise you to start off with the bolt to get used to the game. It will teach you to use cover as you head for the objective because it takes time to work the bolt to chamber a new round (you do this manualy though by clicking fire again when you're in a safe position), and of course it's a one shot kill weapon so if you aim right you're gonna get a frag. Remember to put the bayonet on also for close range encounters. One bayonet stab is enough in the chest or head. Theres plenty of melee tips on the forums.

Also the gameplay experience you get will depend largely on the map you're playing and whether you're attacking or defending. There's maps that feature mostly tank engagements, combined arms maps with infantry supporting the tanks and infantry only. In infantry maps you have close range inner city maps where a SMG would be preferable over the bolt-action and more rural maps where you will benefit from having the bolt-action, and maps where the ONLY gun is the bolt-action except for 1 or 2 semi's or an SMG. So what i'm trying to say is if you don't like you're first experience, just practice until you get better and remember there's other types of gameplay to be had on different maps.

Last edited:
Associate
dont forget its day of defeat source free weekend so you can play for free and see if you like it.

Good games in general recently have been oblivion and star wars empire at war (shame they dont fit your requirements really! :p)

Back
Top Bottom