Speed Camera Detectors

Associate
Which brand are generally regarded as offering decent ones? I've had a look at some of the snooper detectors; more specifically the S6, and they seem to be had for quite reasonable brices "brand new" on ebay.

I'm a little confused about the subscription service though, which is used to update the database of fixed camera locations. From what I've read you can pay per month or over a longer fixed period, but is it really necessary to update every month (maybe it is)? Can't you just pay when you want to update the directory, or is this not possible?

Lastly does the S6 model have a cumbersome power lead which plugs into the cigarette lighter or can it run off battery. If possible I prefer not to have power leads running everywhere.

Cheers.

Associate
i have a snooper made by bell i beilve , i use it in conjuction with the satnav which i installed POI cameras. the snooper is very good but for some reason it picks up a camera everytime i go past a service or petrol station , im informed its the automatic door sensors :)

dsc015834yd.jpg

Don
The origin b2 and the Road Angel are regarded as the best

The Talex as the best on a budget

the Snoopers are generally not well thought of

the update subs need to be kept up , you cannot update on a one off basis

Don
stig said:
the reason i have to use it with the nav , also it makes a horrible noise repeatedly when going past a camera

is yours a detector or a GPS based unit ? I was referring to the GPS units but from your comment it sounds like you have a detector ( picking K band up from automatic doors ) , detectors are next to useless nowadays

Associate
Rotty said:
is yours a detector or a GPS based unit ? I was referring to the GPS units but from your comment it sounds like you have a detector ( picking K band up from automatic doors ) , detectors are next to useless nowadays

yep its a detector , brought it 3 years ago when i had the 325, it was ok back in the day when all we had was gatso's but now theres all those silly SAC's so i have to use the sat nav more often :(

Associate
OP
Are you saying that stand alone detectors aren't worth it? In their advertising speil they mostly all claim to pick up pretty much all types of camera.

Don
John_V85 said:
Are you saying that stand alone detectors aren't worth it? In their advertising speil they mostly all claim to pick up pretty much all types of camera.

stand alone detectors are near worthless , you need a standalone GPS locator ( detector won't pick up SPECS , DS2 , Truvelo )

the S6 you referred too is a GPS device

Associate
OP
Oh right, I though the S6 was a combination model as they come with a laser detector as well. Are these any good or would it be better getting a Road Angel or other make. The ones mentioned earlier in the post seem very expensive.

Don
John_V85 said:
Oh right, I though the S6 was a combination model as they come with a laser detector as well. .

they do though laser detectors are useless ( well as good as )

the S6 is an old model and TBH was never that good in the first place

Associate
OP
Sorry for all the questions, but do the Road Angels have good laser detection as well then for mobile cameras which wouldn't be on a database?

Man of Honour
Personally, I use TomTom5 on my PDA with the PocketGPS speed camera database. It's 2 quid a month and I have yet to come across a single camera it hasn't alerted me too in ample time.

Why go for the hassle and expense of a seperate device?

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Personally, I use TomTom5 on my PDA with the PocketGPS speed camera database. It's 2 quid a month and I have yet to come across a single camera it hasn't alerted me too in ample time.

Why go for the hassle and expense of a seperate device?

Surely, that's fine for fixed cameras, but not for mobile ones? It would also mean going to the expense of buying a GPS device which I do not have at the moment.

Don
don't worry about laser detection

firstly, in truth , none of them work ( you may get the odd scatter detection but 99% of the time you will have been caught before you detect the laser ) and secondly they will soon be illegal

Associate
OP
So in truth then it maybe better (as I was considering a GPS navigational device) getting just the one GPS device which in addition has a subscription based database of speed cameras.

Any reccomendations?

Man of Honour
John_V85 said:
Surely, that's fine for fixed cameras, but not for mobile ones? It would also mean going to the expense of buying a GPS device which I do not have at the moment.

It warns me of mobile cameras as well - all the sites they use them on are listed and updated monthly.

Ones which actually scan for mobile vans are useless anyway, all it will tell you is 'Yes, you just got nicked'.

Associate
OP
Ok, so on that basis, what are some reccomendations for GPS devices which you can pay for a subscription service with data of speed cameras?

Back
Top Bottom