ISP Options..

Soldato
So with no true "unlimited bandwidth" ISP's around really, what ISP has the most download cap? Offers the best speeds (ADSL) best fair usage policy etc..?

Thanks.

Soldato
Nildram seem to be pretty good in this respect. £26 a month if you don't go with a static IP, 50GB cap a month in peak hours and unlimited at other times. I believe peak hours is defined as 8am until midnight so you get 8 hours of uncapped transfer which is fair enough.

Also, any of the 50GB peak allowance that you don't use gets rolled over to the next month.

I noticed a nice little bonus when I checked my Nildram portal. I signed up with them ages ago and received an activation date of the 6th of July. I'd been allocated a 50GB allowance despite not actually having the service at the time. When it came to the 6th and my ADSL was active, I found that I'd been given another 50GB giving me 100GB of peak time transfer. A nice cockup, but I do most of my downloading overnight and I'll use my NTL connection for that anyway.

Nildram don't appear to do any shaping that I'm aware of. My line is only 3.5mbit (4100 ish sync speed) so I get 410KB/sec maximum. My speeds are always pretty much over 300KB/sec so I can't complain. However, I don't use torrents or any other form of p2p so I can't speak for that but I do use usenet.

Soldato
There's only 3 ADSL ISPs that I'd consider personally:

Nildram - already explained above.
Eclipse - good but I'm concerned about the reports of agressive shaping
Zen - very good service but 50GB a month cap and they're a little more expensive than the others - although this can be argued as well worth it since they have no shaping or anything on their network. Still excellent though.

Soldato
McDaniel said:
is Usenet classed as P2P?
no as its not a P2P, its Usenet, eclipse have a VERY good usenet server (iirc) but I was never able to get thunderbird to work well with it (outlook express worked ok tho)

Soldato
hyper_piper45 said:
I just wonder how long till all the leechers sign up and it goes the same way as evolution dsl and ace internet.

About 8-10 months if that.

Its impossible to offer unlimited broadband for that price.

I have seen an unlimited 8mb broadband but its about 80 pounds per month. I bet it you tool it 24/7 they will still kick you off.

Soldato
McDaniel said:
So with no true "unlimited bandwidth" ISP's around really, what ISP has the most download cap? Offers the best speeds (ADSL) best fair usage policy etc..?

Thanks.

Ukonline (LLU, not their IPStream service)

No traffic shaping and no download limits.

£29.99 for ADSL2+, £24.99 for 8mb ADSL.

(Naturally it all depends where you live)

Back
Top Bottom