monday madness!

Lex

Lex

Associate
today has been a terrible day in the world of hardware and software configuration! (my job title)

entered the building at 8.30am and thought hmmm my computer is very slow why not just do a system restore! well after about 2hrs i thought this is takign the biscuit so i turned it off. THEN it booted up the windows logo and went straight onto a blank screen. couldn't figure out why this was so i ripped *** hard disk out put it into another machine backed up my stuff and formatted that hard disk and restored my stuff. had to phone around for some settings on my pc, activite my ms office which was not straight forward either. THEN i thought to improve things since my computer is done i would hook a router up to my work office so i can stick at least 4pcs on the netwrok at one time. well that router was configured in a certain way and took everyone else in the office off of the network! THEN i had the simple task of reformatting another pc (one im working on) and it came up with an error during install which was silly coz i jus reformatted mine! argh this day is long and i havent even done anything. all in my 3rd week of work within the company.

On a happier note i got a 2:1 in my degree and an A for my final project (built an intranet). Also got this job and a pretty girly (almost got her) meeting her tonight after i do a little over timie then gonna finish my day off by playing footy.

roll on tuesday!

Caporegime
im sorry but your pc was running slow so you thought you would do a system restore?

i mean what the hell dude!!!

system restore has NEVER worked, the amount of damn problems its causes,

what you just said sounds like the old unknowning customers we get in here "the wireless mouse stopped working so i used the recovery disk and it still isnt working"

"did you change the batterys?"

"...oh..."

nothing really constructive here, just thought i would rant in your rant thread :p because you brought half your days problems onto yourself :rolleyes:

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
Phate said:
im sorry but your pc was running slow so you thought you would do a system restore?

i mean what the hell dude!!!

system restore has NEVER worked, the amount of damn problems its causes,

what you just said sounds like the old unknowning customers we get in here "the wireless mouse stopped working so i used the recovery disk and it still isnt working"

"did you change the batterys?"

"...oh..."

nothing really constructive here, just thought i would rant in your rant thread :p because you brought half your days problems onto yourself :rolleyes:

lol hush! do not comment i know i thought system restore worked once its the second time i ever done it and surely the last! I learnt my lesson. My pc was beyond slow because i think i installed .net framework and sql server stuff.

Soldato
i also got a 2:1 in my degree, was 1% of a 1st for my final project / dissertation - not to bad considering the final product never got finished.

No girl though... (well the prospect actually, just cant see it happening)

What more specificly do you do at your job?

Caporegime
Lex said:
lol hush! do not comment i know i thought system restore worked once its the second time i ever done it and surely the last! I learnt my lesson. My pc was beyond slow because i think i installed .net framework and sql server stuff.

sorry for sounding abit harsh on you, i fix pc's for a living and it does get to me where customers do really stupid things, bless them they don't no any better but i do get wound up by it sometimes. So sometimes i just randomely outburst as posted above.

meh atleast you've had work todo today, my iBook has been on since 9 this morning that's how quiet we have been :(

Permabanned
Where I work its the same.. Local Computer shop fixing PC's, offering support etc..
This weekend was so quiet.... Boredom set in so we installed the Beta 2 of Vista on the display machine on the shop floor...
Works ok, Poolybit who i work with got it through from Msoft....

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
DJammyRasta said:
and why has this thread not got any pictures of your attractive lady friend in it yet ? ;)

coz i need to take a picture of her. Just waitin for her at the moment so staying a bit after work. Will do and when i do ill post a picture if i can get it to work.

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
McDaniel said:
i also got a 2:1 in my degree, was 1% of a 1st for my final project / dissertation - not to bad considering the final product never got finished.

No girl though... (well the prospect actually, just cant see it happening)

What more specificly do you do at your job?

well engineers bring in hardware from offsite and i check its usable make appropriate changes and configure them for their next journey. thats the hardware side. I think up new technology that would improve our business. I plan the journeys of the engineers and book them hotels. I configure networks and come up with a topology for a site that we introduce our systems to, whether it be wireless or wired and the types of hardware we should use etc. erm....also going into the programming phase as well, so i'm aiming to learn asp.net and sql so i can help the company. they are gonna put me on a course i just need to find one. So it seems very hopeful and whilst doing that i'm conducting research on other projects. So its very busy but when i **** up like i did today it really sucks coz it takes ages to fix the problem and i'm behind and look like im just causing problems rather than making their life better.

Anyway monday is almost over and im gonna sit back and have a beer whilst listening to this girly talk about her today as a trainee solictor. should be interesting.

Soldato
Your first mistake was using System Restore.

Your second mistake was switching off in the middle of it. That left you with half of your original Windows and half of the restored one. Not surprised it wouldn't boot!

Man of Honour
Mattus said:
Your first mistake was using System Restore.

Your second mistake was switching off in the middle of it. That left you with half of your original Windows and half of the restored one. Not surprised it wouldn't boot!
Was going to say exactly the same thing :)

Soldato
Lex said:
well engineers bring in hardware from offsite and i check its usable make appropriate changes and configure them for their next journey. thats the hardware side. I think up new technology that would improve our business. I plan the journeys of the engineers and book them hotels. I configure networks and come up with a topology for a site that we introduce our systems to, whether it be wireless or wired and the types of hardware we should use etc. erm....also going into the programming phase as well, so i'm aiming to learn asp.net and sql so i can help the company. they are gonna put me on a course i just need to find one. So it seems very hopeful and whilst doing that i'm conducting research on other projects. So its very busy but when i **** up like i did today it really sucks coz it takes ages to fix the problem and i'm behind and look like im just causing problems rather than making their life better.

How long you been there now, a month or so? I'm intrigued by this statement "also going into the programming phase as well, so i'm aiming to learn asp.net and sql so i can help the company. they are gonna put me on a course i just need to find one". Surely they know what skillsets you need and I would have thought have an idea what course(s) you need. How big is the company?

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
Chasser said:
How long you been there now, a month or so? I'm intrigued by this statement "also going into the programming phase as well, so i'm aiming to learn asp.net and sql so i can help the company. they are gonna put me on a course i just need to find one". Surely they know what skillsets you need and I would have thought have an idea what course(s) you need. How big is the company?

its a small/medium sized company. about 20staff and a few groups of engineers.
yes they know what their skilset is which but not the courses that are on offer outside the company which is why they told me to find out. asp & sql courses that not complicated to understand is it? Hope i answered your query:)

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
btw havent exactly started today off well i forgot my wallet! I dont know if i should be negative and say i started my day off badly. Also i have requested a search at home:) to no success:( so im worried now.

Soldato
Hope you find your wallet. I would cancel your cards just in case.

Hope you get the courses you need. I just found it odd that your employer left it up to you to find the training, after all they must understand exactly what they require you to do, or do they?

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
Chasser said:
Hope you find your wallet. I would cancel your cards just in case.

Hope you get the courses you need. I just found it odd that your employer left it up to you to find the training, after all they must understand exactly what they require you to do, or do they?

yeh to learn asp.net and sql. Thats what they want me to do. I dont understand why people are having a complex about this? Is it not normal then? Thanks i hope i find my wallet too mate :)

Soldato
Nobody is having a complex about it. I only commented on your employer (An IT focused company, I assume?) identifying a requirement, and then telling you to sort your own courses out. I just found that a little strange, that's all mate. ;)

Back
Top Bottom