• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What Conroe to replace X2 4600+

Soldato
only worth the upgrade if your 4600 is too slow for your needs. The brief pleasure of seeing a bigger number in cpuz soon pales to still having half a grand in your back pocket.

Permabanned
OP
pinkaardvark said:
only worth the upgrade if your 4600 is too slow for your needs. The brief pleasure of seeing a bigger number in cpuz soon pales to still having half a grand in your back pocket.

lol very true :p if i upgraded the chip then i'm going to have to upgrade the GC as i'm running a 7800GTX 256MB also, and its starting to struggle a bit on my Dell 24", looks like it going to get ££££££££££££ :p

Caporegime
pinkaardvark said:

I disagree,

My opty 170 @ 2.8ghz was more than fast enough for my needs.But I sold it losing little money for my conroe setup.

The upgrade cost me around 100 quid after selling my s939 stuff while I could still get something for it.

I now have a much much faster pc for little outlay.

Why be so conservative and serious about upgrading?I enjoy having the latest hardware and in the long run its cheaper to upgrade when your previous system is still high end.

Associate
there must be some sort of curve for second hand prices of stuff, and a point where the price suddenly starts to plumet (probably when the brand new mainstream and enthuisast parts oertake the previous high end) eg 7600 + 6800GT.

Permabanned
OP
easyrider said:
I disagree,

My opty 170 @ 2.8ghz was more than fast enough for my needs.But I sold it losing little money for my conroe setup.

The upgrade cost me around 100 quid after selling my s939 stuff while I could still get something for it.

I now have a much much faster pc for little outlay.

Why be so conservative and serious about upgrading?I enjoy having the latest hardware and in the long run its cheaper to upgrade when your previous system is still high end.

Yeh i like to have the latest Rig Also, i Paid about £450 for my X2 4600+ chip and it was worth ever penny had lots of fun with last set up and guess its going to be the same with the conroe set up, any idea's what chip to go for easyrider not really on a tight buget but £780 for the Extreme Edition X6800 might be pushing it, any ideas what clocks i might get on Air with this chip :D

Soldato
easyrider said:
I disagree,

Lol at one point many moons ago I was into benchmarking, think I got as high as postition 2 on the orb. I recall have 8 gf3's in my hands at one time and used to routinely abuse the hell out of stuff for a tiny gain. I'm talking phase change + TEC+ Watercooling+ Airconditioning units+radiators hanging out of wide open windows in the middle of winter at 3 am.

So I totally understand the upgrade addiction and the desire for that little bit of extra performance. But some times it can be taken a bit too far and that extra wad is better spent down the boozer with yer mates on on your missus.

Hell i'm just old hehe! get the X6800 :eek:

Permabanned
OP
pinkaardvark said:
Lol at one point many moons ago I was into benchmarking, think I got as high as postition 2 on the orb. I recall have 8 gf3's in my hands at one time and used to routinely abuse the hell out of stuff for a tiny gain. I'm talking phase change + TEC+ Watercooling+ Airconditioning units+radiators hanging out of wide open windows in the middle of winter at 3 am.

So I totally understand the upgrade addiction and the desire for that little bit of extra performance. But some times it can be taken a bit too far and that extra wad is better spent down the boozer with yer mates on on your missus.

Hell i'm just old hehe! get the X6800 :eek:

I gave up drinking 3 years ago :D so i've saved a fare few pounds

Caporegime
LetsHaveIt said:
Yeh i like to have the latest Rig Also, i Paid about £450 for my X2 4600+ chip and it was worth ever penny had lots of fun with last set up and guess its going to be the same with the conroe set up, any idea's what chip to go for easyrider not really on a tight buget but £780 for the Extreme Edition X6800 might be pushing it, any ideas what clocks i might get on Air with this chip :D

E6600 or the E6700 for the 10 x multi

I went for the E6600 as nearly 200 quid is a lot to pay for the 10x multi over the 9x.

You have to remember aswell these chips at speeds of around 3.4gz are so quick and anything above 3.6ghz needs H20 24/7 imo

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still running on a single core CPU so that's my excuse. I miss hyperthreading on my old penty, imagine what two cores is going to do to me!

Soldato
Hard choice but E6600 is the top dog chip, what more u want? it competes with AMDs best current £700+ cpu.

Other then that I feel the Summer Addiction "Must buy something" bug, but I so badly know in 5 months time its Dual Dual Core chips imagine 4XE6600 ! and again Next gen DX10 based cards....

And the ole age question is there will still be something 5 months down the road to buy by that time ;)

Associate
harris1986 said:
Why spend it on your missus? that's just crazy talk, Boozer = yes / Mrs = Hell No! :p

I totally agree with this mind this is only due to getting married in the Dominican Republic 6 weeks ago, mind its the best 5k I've ever spent though :D

The next best thing was not telling her how much my recent pc cost hehe 4 day after returning home a new pc was ordered. Sadly not from ocuk this time but a pre built one based on reviews from pc format.... (x2 4400) not a bad system, shame I cant say the same about the wife :p U cant switch her off after games she wants to talk.........

Shouldve waited for the conroe though :( oh well U live & learn

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom