• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Want to upgrade my graphics card ???

Associate
Hi,

Go a new pc about 6 months ago with P4 3.4GHZ, 2GB Ram etc. It came with a Radeon X550 but I would like something better, but theres hundreds to choose from. Any suggestions on a good card that will make a noticable difference over my X550. I'm not a game player but use my pc for my simulator which is very graphics card hungry. The card they recommend that is at the top of their list is the R 9800 XT ?

I require a PCi Express type, any suggestions please ? I don't want to spend £100+ on a card and not notice any differance. I would say £200 is my limit, maybe could go a little higher ?

Simon.

Soldato
For around £160 you can have the x1800xt 256 which is an even bigger performance difference! The two reocmmended thus far though are going to show you massive increases on what you previously had!

Soldato
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/10/can_your_rig_run_oblivion_uk/page11.html

from the looks of these:

chart_memory_buffer_1.gif

chart_memory_buffer_2.gif

i would say that 512mb would be the better option. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
I will stick with 256mb then :D

I've narrowed it down to these now then,

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB

Whats the difference in the two, apart from £10 :p

HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 GTO ICEQ3 SILENT TURBO 256MB
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB

Again whats the differnece in these two ? and also what the difference between the XT & GTO cards

Thanks

Simon.

Last edited:
Soldato
simon109 said:
I will stick with 256mb then :D

I've narrowed it down to these now then,

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB

Whats the difference in the two, apart from £10 :p

With the Sapphire card you get to choose i think 2 full retail games from 4 - i think the ones are Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Brother In Arms: Road to Hill 30, Richard Burns Rally and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

If you want one of those games for a tenner it might be the go. Otherwise get the cheaper card.

simon109 said:
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 GTO ICEQ3 SILENT TURBO 256MB
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB

Again whats the differnece in these two ? and also what the difference between the XT & GTO cards

Thanks

Simon.

These cards have different coolers. The HIS one is silent & cools a bit better to i believe. The HIS card is also overclocked a little faster too.

The X1800XT is the card to get. Not much more cost but the perfromance is 50-75% better. The X1800XT are the best bang per buck imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caution though! Make sure power supply (PSU) is up to taking a X1800 XT :) Ideally should be...
  • At least 380w's;
  • & 22A or above on the +12v RAIL (if split, add up the numbers).
This info should be printed on the side of the PSU :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom