Eclipse Internet - Traffic Shaping?

Soldato
hey, can I just check something with you guys,

I need to know if anyone else here has noticed a cap on bittorrent downloads when using eclipse internet.
trying to download the latest Puppy Linux ISO and I noticed that my down speed never gets over 25k/s, (1meg connection, and no my up speed isn't 100% either) also if I start another torrent the TOTAL for both sits at about 25k/s, now surly this can't be right, can they just start doing this without contacting me about a change in service?

Associate
if your on there Evo service then yes that has traffic shaping which is causing your problems, but if you are on the flex service then that has no traffic shaping.

Soldato
OP
Strikeforce said:
if your on there Evo service then yes that has traffic shaping which is causing your problems, but if you are on the flex service then that has no traffic shaping.
I'm on flex

anyone else on flex getting this?

Last edited:
Soldato
not exactly , but according to Eclipse I am meant to have an 8mb line but according to adsl reports and btinternet tests I only have 3.5-4 so not particularly happy I have to admit

Soldato
OP
FrankJH said:
not exactly , but according to Eclipse I am meant to have an 8mb line but according to adsl reports and btinternet tests I only have 3.5-4 so not particularly happy I have to admit
what service is that on?

Soldato
FrankJH said:

According to Eclipse you're on an UP TO 8Mbps line. This can vary due to factors including (but not limited to):

• Your equipment (some USB modems can't handle full speed)
  • Your phone line (speed the line syncs at depends on quality of line)
  • Exchange contention
  • ISP contention
  • Download server capacity

Eclipse do shape/manage/cap/whatever they call it on BitTorrent with the MaxDSL packages, last week I was capped at 120kB/s, this week I can download full speed (300kB/s+), a while back it was capped at 30kB/s....don't have a clue what they're doing, but generally if you're experiencing this reconnecting to try and get on a different gateway works.

Some people on the ADSLGuide forums have mentioned noticing traffic shaping on Flex, might be worth emailing Tech Support to see if they have anything to say.

What seems to have happened is that Eclipse have just put everyone on the same shaping gear and just capped the Flex users at their service speed whilst still shaping them.

Soldato
OP
this realy gets to me, sometimes eclipse are REALY good, and then sometimes they REALY bugger it up like this, if they ARE trafic shaping on my connection how can I get them to stop? Are they legaly entitled to do this on my package?

Associate
Is the traffic shaping occurring at all times, or just the 'peak' times of 6pm-midnight? From what I understand, they use an adaptive traffic-shaping technique which depends on demand, and the package you're on. At busy times, the more expensive packages have better performance.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
Of course they are.
realy? there was nothing on this in my T&C when I signed up 4 years ago!

and its going on as we speak, maybe I'll try a few other torrents to see if its just these three that are like that, anyone got any links to something big (ish, few gig) that I can try out, that they know has a nice high speed?

Caporegime
VeNT said:
there was nothing on this in my T&C when I signed up 4 years ago!

Oh but there was, it just didn't say "We're going to shape you".

IIRC the OpenOffice torrent runs at a decent speed.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
Oh but there was, it just didn't say "We're going to shape you".

IIRC the OpenOffice torrent runs at a decent speed.
I'll go check that,

180k/s (average) 220k/s (max) at 2meg (flexed) so that seems better, must have just been those three torrents I tryed out, strange :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Check this thread on adslguide.

I too was suffering from the same problem - 1 torrent at about 40k or multiple torrents totaling 40k, so I opened a support ticket over a week ago, not to report a fault but to ask if it was shaped and as of yet I have had no reply.

I have checked using the ubuntu torrent and now appear to be getting full speed.

Eclipse have even said that Flex wouldn't be affected by the new restrictions on Max but the evidence appears to say otherwise.

Soldato
VeNT said:
yeah, strange happenings at eclipse central
also some downloads are slower unless I use multiple threads (ie flastget/FDM)

I've got a ticket open with them at the moment for that very issue, be interesting to see what they say about that one.

Soldato
Why dont you change the TCP/UDP ports on which your running BT, are you using the default 6881/6889?

Also if you use Azerus you can now enable encryption between clients that support it, this will bypass traffic shaping aswell.

Soldato
Curiosityx said:
Why dont you change the TCP/UDP ports on which your running BT, are you using the default 6881/6889?

Also if you use Azerus you can now enable encryption between clients that support it, this will bypass traffic shaping aswell.

Not if they shape encrypted traffic, which they do ;)

Soldato
Curiosityx said:
On what port?

Im guessing that they are just shaping everything thats encrypted, rather than a port.

Im only on 512Flex but I can max out my connection on any torrent as long as their are enough decent seeds, the Ubuntu one for example came down at 60kb/sec all the way.

Back
Top Bottom