The name of this forum

Soldato
Just been thinking. This forum's called 'Team OcUK BOINC and Other Distributed Computing Projects' - kinda a monument to the glory days of BOINC. Now though, the title doesn't exactly represent the forum - on the front page at the moment, 23 of the 25 threads are Folding-related. Is it time for a change to something like 'Team OcUK Folding@Home and Other Distributed Computing Projects'?

Associate
Theres still a hell of a seti team though most of them don't seem to post here much, if at all.

I think it would be best just to call it OcUK Distributed Computing or something generic like that.

Soldato
OP
Yeah. Our Seti team is still more powerful than our Folding team, but most of the Seti members don't seem to be interested in the forum. I recognise most of the names on the F@H stats from the forum, but I looked at the Seti stats and most of them I'd never heard of.

Soldato
I think if the name were to be changed it would be best just to call it the distributed computing forum or something. Also the current description 'Discuss BOINC and other distributed computing projects...' is inaccurate since BOINC is not a distributed computing project!

Soldato
I always thought TOSAH was kinda good :p
Though maybe that was just the admin's view of us types

'Team OcUK Distributed Computing' sounds good to me - should also stop the need for any further name changes until the end of time :)
(or until Seti kills TDF when it will become the 'TDF memorial forum') :p

post nuke here - but only just :cool:

Soldato
I've just had a moment of clarity and whilst this forum is meant to be about DC projects perhaps the alylum or the nuthouse would be more appropriate for us lot?

Hi my name's Paul and I'm a distributed computing addict :D

Paul

Soldato
I agree its in need of a change.
However i think it could do with having the word folding in it, and preferably either seti or boinc aswell. A lot more people know what those are, not so many people know what distrubuted computing is.
I'll have a think and see if i can come up with anything short enough that says the right thing.

Edit: How about this.
Team OcUK Distributed Computing (Folding, BOINC, Seti and others)

I'm not sure if thats a little too long.
Would need to change the description too. Currently its this.
Discuss BOINC and other distributed computing projects with members of The World's Finest Team™.
Discuss Folding, Seti, Boinc and other distributed computing projects with members of The World's Finest Team™

Last edited:
Soldato
The moniker is good, would prefer to replace 'nuthouse' with some mention of folding if possible. Don't want to put potential new members off...

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Care to explain to us n00bs, ye ol' goat?

Some time in the dim and distant past the forum was called the distibuted computing forum, then in october 2002 the forums were "nuked" with a big red button and restarted afresh. That's the forum name changed to it's more verbose title. I've been here since september 1999 when seti first got going:o

Soldato
Pre-nuke here, or at least I used to access OcUK before the nuke whilst at Uni. Didn't register until a year afterward though. Folding does seem to be the forum's project of choice at the moment so it'd be nice to reflect that but we don't want to alienate the SETI/BOINC'ers who probably drop in now and again to lurk.

Back
Top Bottom