• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

choosing processor...

Soldato
hi all,

im building a new pc for use with a vast majority of things, mainly hosting servers (http, ftp, mail...) and creating software, but also for watching and encoding videos etc

im wondering what the best processer would be out of AMD and Intel and what would your recommendations be?

thanks

matt ;)

Soldato
OP
i prefer to update wen i get to the point of checking the thing out the window lol at the moment i have a dell inspiron 1150 with 64mb graphics, intel celeron 2.4Ghz and 256Mb ram... and it runs windows server 03. its wayyy to slow though and i hate it lol
im buildin a PC from scratch, the only problem is is that i am 16, only work on saturdays and get about £120/month, which is mostly going into my holiday savings :(
i have found a lovely case... but thats about it.. i dont even have room in my room lol ;)

any help would be great as my downfall is CPUs, motherboards and ram

Man of Honour
There are some great deals on 939 chips at the moment, such as the 4000+ for £111. If you teamed that with the AsRock Dual motherboard (Works with agp and pci-e graphics cards, 939 and AM2 cpus), you'd have a decent setup however it'd be fully upgradeable with newer AM2 chips.

Caporegime
And am3 ones as well. :) I have the same motherboard and I didn't know it had this feature at the time but I'm glad I bought it now for the upgrade ability.

Soldato
OP
to be honest i dont wna spend £100 odd on a cpu lol sorry guys :(

i've been talkin to friends and they have recommended a few sites, i have found what i think is a good setup, any opinions?

Motherboard
Albatron K8X250 Pro K8 Socket 754 nVidia nF3 250 800MHz FSB ATX AGP
£26.14

CPU
AMD Sempron 3300+ (SDA3300BXBOX) 64Bit Architecture 2.0Ghz Skt 754 Boxed
£59.47

RAM
Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 NON-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
£31.91

sorry about the competitor problem :(

one last thing now... the (cheap) hard drive :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn't reccomend a sempron for video encoding and software creation, you cant really skimp on the cpu for those things. You need ddr400 memory as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom