• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Processor cleaning liquid

Associate
Can I buy anything to clean my processor in a local shop or do I have to buy from an online retailer? I need to reset my processor, and clean off the old thermal grease.

Associate
OP
cyborg said:
Its called TIM clean, I know that a nationwide electronics store stocks it.

Ooh sorry I forgot you can't post about competition on here. I read somewhere you can use lighter fluid. Is this true?

Associate
Yeah pretty much any kind of sprit (not whisky though) can do the job, some much better than others, I believe lighter fluid can do it. But try to get proper cleaning stuff as you are then asured it will work.

Associate
OP
Tetras said:
:confused:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Thermal_Materials.html
ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier - 60ml Kit (TH-000-AC)
£5.82 (inc VAT)

Akasa TIM Clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner (OA-001-AK)
£6.99 (inc VAT)

Not slagging overclockers off or anything, but I'd have to pay like 8 pounds postage on that. Not worth it if I'm not buying anything else and can buy it just down the road from me.

Associate
Although it is not usually recommended, I've used nail varnish remover that was lying around the house in the past. Most nail varnish remover is said to contain additives, colourings etc... but I've had no problem using it with this CPU that has been running flawlessly for 1-2 years. If you can't be bothered ordering some TIM online or have some nail varnish remover lying around the house i would give that a try.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
fairly liquid works well - but only on robust CPU's - like Athon XP's and S775's and earlier - don't try it with S940/AM2, S939, S754 or S478'ers. Drip it on, add a bit of water, rub with fingers, stick under tap to rinse and dry with kitchen roll and allow to air off for 10-15 mins. I've done it dozens of times in the XP days and since with S775's.

Soldato
I've got a bottle of the Akasa tim clean, works very well, while I was on holiday visiting a MMORPG friend in Olso Norway, I added a few fans, and replaced his cpu cooler, as his 3.2 Prescott was 80+ degrees!.

We popped to the 'local' olso high street computer store, and they had the Arcticlean. Its very good the 2 bottles one cleaner, and one surface preparation. I know what I'll get when my huge bottle of Akasa finally runs out :)

Both for sale at OcUK

Soldato
Gimpmaster3201 said:
Although it is not usually recommended, I've used nail varnish remover that was lying around the house in the past. Most nail varnish remover is said to contain additives, colourings etc... but I've had no problem using it with this CPU that has been running flawlessly for 1-2 years. If you can't be bothered ordering some TIM online or have some nail varnish remover lying around the house i would give that a try.

agreed - used nail polish remover before and it works just as well! no problems

Man of Honour
I used to use nail polish remover and hve lso used TIM cleaner but I have fund IPA to be the best. I clead a HS with TIM cleaner and although it looked clean I then gave it a go with IPA and got more gunk off that I couldn't see.

Back
Top Bottom