• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need Information About Opteron UP 144

Soldato
Hey guys,

As some of you know, since I mention it pretty much all the time, I am in the market for upgrading my CPU and motherboard in around September time, as I am rather bored of being stuck on a socket 754 rig with an old 3400+ processor. I'm looking in particular at three CPUs, two of which are to be price-slashed to hell and back on Conroe launch, but I know absolutely nothing about one of them apart from that it's supposedly a great overclocker.

I'm looking at the Athlon X2 3800+, Athlon X2 4600+, and the Opteron UP 144. The problem is that while I already have a clear picture of what an X2 3800+ or 4600+ would do for me, I cannot for the life of me find any benchmarks of the Opteron UP 144 that show me what I want to know (3D gaming performance, both at stock and overclocked, preferably with direct comparisons to the X2 processors.)

Also, if I were to find myself impressed by the Opteron UP 144, would it still overclock as well as I hear with 2GB of Corsair Value DDR400 at 2.5-3-3-7 and 1T? My crappy 3400+ has overclocked much better than I expected with this stuff, I am just hoping it won't hold back a much better processor.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Sincerely yours,
Úlfhednar.

P.S. I should probably mention that I am aware of the Opteron UP 144 being single-core. I am really not fussy about single-core vs. dual-core just yet, I am only interested in getting the absolute best bang for my buck (under £175) when the Conroe price-cuts are in effect.

Soldato
You can just stick your ram on a divider with no performance loss, so you're ram wont hold you back regardless of your overclock. I cant really see the opty's falling in price either seeing as they're server chips. You might be better looking at the A64 3700+ or 4000+ if you're considering single core.

Soldato
OP
trojan698 said:
You can just stick your ram on a divider with no performance loss, so you're ram wont hold you back regardless of your overclock. I cant really see the opty's falling in price either seeing as they're server chips. You might be better looking at the A64 3700+ or 4000+ if you're considering single core.
Yeah the Opterons won't be dropping in price, only Athlon 64 and Athlon X2 processors, but I figure the Opteron UP 144 is already cheap as hell from what I have heard about it so far.

Since the Athlon X2 4600+ should be within striking distance of my budget after the Conroe price-cuts, do you think I should go for it?

Back
Top Bottom