Second safety recall on my 6 month old car

Associate
I've just received a letter from Citroen telling me about the 2nd recall required to my car. The first was something that made it break down which wasn't too worrying, this one however is because there is something wrong with the airbag control unit.

It's a little sparse on detail but since it was sent recorded delivery (1st wasn't) I'm guessing it's at least moderatly serious.

Do you think this is grounds to return the car? Given the fuss they made about all the fantastic safety features I would have said it wasn't fit for purpose...

Anyone know who I should contact to find out more?

Associate
a lot of brand new cars have safety recalls. This recall maybe more serious than the last one, hence Special Delivery, or they are making sure none of the letters get lost in the post.

If you are worried, ring your dealer and enquire more about the problem.

Associate
I don't mean to be funny, but Citroens are infamous for being unreliable and the electrics even on the new cars are a joke. Some just stop working, others burst into flames.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Citroen? If you lived somewhere without web access then perhaps it's understandable, but you clearly do have the facilites to do basic research on any new purchase.

Permabanned
carpmaster said:
I don't mean to be funny, but Citroens are infamous for being unreliable and the electrics even on the new cars are a joke. Some just stop working, others burst into flames.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Citroen? If you lived somewhere without web access then perhaps it's understandable, but you clearly do have the facilites to do basic research on any new purchase.

I agree, but its his money he is wasting...

Soldato
carpmaster said:

have you ever owned a Citroen yourself? or is this just based on what you have heard ?
If its a fault with the airbag control unit they are probably just worried that it might be deployed during normal driving and cause an accident, Pretty much like my aunt's Vauxhall Corsa did a few years ago.

Soldato
Lol not as bad as us, we had a recall on our 2002 Jeep Wrangler. Something about debri hitting the inlet manifold and causing a fire under the bonnet.

Associate
carpmaster said:

Lol, Citroens are no more unreliable than any other European car, in fact many of the new models are more reliable than a certain branch of VAG beginning with S that everyone around here loves. As for bursting into flames, :rolleyes: , if you want to see a car burst into flames buy yourself an early Laguna II 1.9 Diesel, they are famous for it.

Sure you could go out an buy yourself a super reliable but super boring Japanese family car, but a lot of people, myself included, would prefer something with a bit more character.

It's been my experience that, after owning my previous 3 (at the time) 10 year old cars, a 'rubbish' old Citroen Xantia is far more reliable than both a Honda Prelude and a Nissan Primera (which both came with full dealer service history, the Citroen had none). Even compared to my step dad's 2 year old Toyota Avensis the Citroen spends more time on the road, the interior rattles far less and it's generally a much nicer car to drive. And compared to my mother's 3 year old Civic, lol, Even if the Civic was well built and reliable (which it isn't), it's such a horrible car to sit inside that I'd still drive my Citroen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your going to get re-calls on all cars. Whilst they can be annoying to me at least it shows a constant improvement on aspects of the car and its better that these things are put right (free of charge) rather than you being stung for a repair bill at a later date.

Soldato
CypherPunk said:
Lol, Citroens are no more unreliable than any other European car, in fact many of the new models are more reliable than a certain branch of VAG beginning with S that everyone around here loves. As for bursting into flames, :rolleyes: , if you want to see a car burst into flames buy yourself an early Megane II 1.9 Diesel, they are famous for it.

I agree, I've had my Citroen for 5 years now and its only had routine servicing done by myself. It's never broken down, nothing has fallen off and when I thought it had a rattling noise it turned out to be something that had been thrown in the glovebox.
My aunt has had 3 new VAG cars and all of them have broken down, two of them with ignition problems.

Soldato
This is why I will only buy (unless in a special circumstance, or purchase) a car that is at least 3 years old. This way, it'll be the right price, have all the recalls and technical glitches you get with a new car hopefully sorted and not be entwined with any dealerships!

:D

Soldato
If you offer support for Microsoft you are frowned upon and told that you are stupid for supporting such a company.
If you use AOL as your internet ISP then you get called all sorts of names.
In this forum it is if you decide to buy a French car.
You'll be told how unreliable they are, how they burst into flames (seriously, apparently all French cars do it).
They will then try and "cut deeper" and add comments about you wasting your money etc.

My past two cars have been French.
My Megane Hatch in 2000 and my 307 in 2004.
The Megane had one "unexpected" fault in the 4 years I owned it - the PAS pump failed, however that was covered under extended warranty.
The 307 has been 100% reliable and like your Citroen has had two safety recalls (both dealt with quickly and efficently).

Unfortunately as a French car owner you will be looked down on by various people in this forum - nothing you can do about it really.
As for your original question - really, when you think about it they are bending over backwards to make sure everything is fixed.
If they weren't saying anything and letting the fault stay on cars then that would be a worry, however they are being pro-active etc.

Just remember that your French car will apparently be unreliable (even if it hasn't been).
Everything will fall off it (again even if that isn't the case you are lying).
Oh and always be ready to get out quick when it just bursts into flames.

Associate
stoofa said:
If you offer support for Microsoft you are frowned upon and told that you are stupid for supporting such a company.
If you use AOL as your internet ISP then you get called all sorts of names.
In this forum it is if you decide to buy a French car.
You'll be told how unreliable they are, how they burst into flames (seriously, apparently all French cars do it).
They will then try and "cut deeper" and add comments about you wasting your money etc.

My past two cars have been French.
My Megane Hatch in 2000 and my 307 in 2004.
The Megane had one "unexpected" fault in the 4 years I owned it - the PAS pump failed, however that was covered under extended warranty.
The 307 has been 100% reliable and like your Citroen has had two safety recalls (both dealt with quickly and efficently).

Unfortunately as a French car owner you will be looked down on by various people in this forum - nothing you can do about it really.
As for your original question - really, when you think about it they are bending over backwards to make sure everything is fixed.
If they weren't saying anything and letting the fault stay on cars then that would be a worry, however they are being pro-active etc.

Just remember that your French car will apparently be unreliable (even if it hasn't been).

LOL. Fantastic post. Just as a precaution make sure you Citreon & Renault owners wear a fire proof suit every time you get into the car.

Associate
carpmaster said:
LOL. Fantastic post. Just as a precaution make sure you Citreon & Renault owners wear a fire proof suit every time you get into the car.

And what do you drive that's so special, if you don't mind me asking of course?

Associate
Funnily enough i've booked a hire car for a weekend coming up soon. It's a Peugeot 407 with a 2.2 litre engine. Wouldn't have been my first choice but it's all they had available :o

Maybe it will change my view of French motors. They any good these 407's?

I drive several cars, none of which are French. Currently I have two Fords. I did have a Vauxhall until recently when I accidently blew it up by overfilling the engine with oil and blowing a seal, then driving around ignoring the oil warning light thinking it was a false alarm.............

Soldato
stoofa said:
I have had 4 french cars from new, saxo vtr, vts c2gt and a clio 172. All of them have had problems and faults, some major some minor.

But to stick up for french cars:

My dad had a citroen xantia and ran it from almost new to 120,000 miles, the car was faultless. After it hit 70,000 miles he stopped getting it serivced as he said it wasn't worth the cost(obvioulsy did tyres, brakes) but all he did was top up the oil and never had it changed. Still ran sweet at the end and he part exed it in against a C5.

Back
Top Bottom